Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Copying calculated table

I have a very large calculated table that I want to duplicate, then tweak the DAX on about 1/3 of the columns. Remaking all 170 columns seems painfully slow and unnecessary, and it's not a query table, so copying and pasting isn't an option. I tried creating a new table and saying NewTable = TableIWantToCopy, but doing it that way none of the DAX carries over so it's "fixed" as a duplicate of the original.

I see that you can click on a table and select Copy, but there's no paste, so I suppose this is intended for copying into Excel or similar. It would seem duplicating a table in-place in a way that you could then modify would be a pretty basic feature, but if it's here I cannot find it.

Is there no way to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, not in the way you are describing. Sorry. 

I will amend this to "I do not know of a way to do what you are describing today".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daryl_K ,

To copy a calculate table, you can:

1. Create a new table with the same expression
  2. Create a new table using New Table = ‘table’

And you can refer the following case that can help you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Copying-a-data-table-I-see-the-copy-function-when-I-right-c...

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately this does not help. As noted the original table has hundreds of columns of DAX which I don't want to totally rewrite. I'd like to copy the entire table then tweak many of the columns.

After days of searching I believe Greg_Deckler is correct and what I am looking to do simply cannot be done, so I have begun re-coding the columns manually.

Wow pretty lame that there's not a way to do that. I'm looking for the same thing. For me it's usually the 'calendar' or 'date' table that's needed for some many scenarios. 

Here's my solution: Make a copy of the PBI Desktop file that contains the calculated table. Delete everything else in the file besides the calculated table. Every time you want to create a new file with that calculated table, make a copy of that 'template' file and start building from there!  

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, not in the way you are describing. Sorry. 

I will amend this to "I do not know of a way to do what you are describing today".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.