Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ap
Advocate I
Advocate I

Copying a data table? I see the copy function when I right click on a table but how do I paste this?

I am looking to copy a data table but can't seem to find out where and how I can paste this?

I've created a datedimension table but would like to repurpose it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Does anyone know definitively whether this is possible?

If it isn't possible to paste a table, then what is the point of the "Copy Table" menu item?  Is this a feature that was accidentally left  unfinished?

UPDATE:  Ok, the purpose of that is so you can paste into an external app like Excel.

The only way to reuse a DAX based table, and preserve post creation configuration like setting of sort columns, formats, etc is to use the PBIX file as a starting point for all new projects.  If you've started without doing that, you can create a new table in the destination and paste in the DAX, but you'll have to redo those customization tasks.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Chicolla
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

You can create a new table and enter sonething like:  table bis = table.

Doing that you can use table bis as any other and data request is the same for both table.

Yours sincerely

zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @ap, @turtleseatpizza@TeeGee, @jhauff77060@Sean

I think Copy Entire table feature is not working as per my search over all Power Bi Desktop application. (As i did not find any paste option there.)

But for copy paste below images will explain copy -- paste table.

Copy table (Right Click)Copy table (Right Click)Paste (Right Click)Paste (Right Click)

@zlokesh

Copy and Paste are usually reserved in program design for cases where you want to paste the data to a certain location. That doesn't really fit what you're trying to do. A table doesn't go anywhere in particular in your data model; it simply exists in your data model. You can't paste a table into another table because that's not how database queries work. This isn't Excel. If you're trying to add the data from one table onto the end of another existing table, you would use the Append function in the query editor, not paste. If you simply want to make a whole copy of the table as a new table, you can use either Duplicate or Reference. Duplicate allows you to go back and make changes to the original query, Reference simply makes a copy by pointing at the original. If you want to add Table A to Table B as new columns rather than new rows, that's a Merge function.

I think everyone is just geting hung up on the terms "copy and paste" rather than looking for the functionality they're trying to get. The functionality exists. It just has a different name than you're expecting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ap

If you want a duplicate your Data Table.

Go to Query Editor

And rightclick to the table and choose duplicate.

diplicate.png

Lima - Peru

If you want to copy it to another PBI Desktop file you can follow these steps...

1. In the model where you have your table go to Query Editor

2. Highlight your query that creates the table and ctrl+c

3. Open a new PBI Desktop file and go to Query Editor

4. Right-click in the queries pane and paste.

/sdjensen

This is great.  Worked like a charm, thank you.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are talking about a Visualization Table use => Ctrl+C (Copy) and then Ctrl+V (Paste)

EDIT: I guess I didn't read the whole question

In the Query Editor => on the Home tab => click New Source => select Blank Query => in the formula bar type => = tablename

I am having this same issue however your suggestion of creating a new query with =tablename does not work.

I created the original table using the DAX Calendar function so there is no query behind it.

Please help.

Thanks

@michellemetzger Yes this has always been a one way street - you can't access any DAX generated tables in the Query Editor!

If you do want to copy a DAX generated table (as @KHorseman said)

New DAX Table.png

Your suggestion worked great to copy the table into the current .pbix. Can a DAX generated table be copied to another .pbix?

Does anyone know definitively whether this is possible?

If it isn't possible to paste a table, then what is the point of the "Copy Table" menu item?  Is this a feature that was accidentally left  unfinished?

UPDATE:  Ok, the purpose of that is so you can paste into an external app like Excel.

The only way to reuse a DAX based table, and preserve post creation configuration like setting of sort columns, formats, etc is to use the PBIX file as a starting point for all new projects.  If you've started without doing that, you can create a new table in the destination and paste in the DAX, but you'll have to redo those customization tasks.

seems to me that there is kind of bug when i copy function from one pbix to another pbix : when i did it once - it works correctly, on the second and third times, it copy both the current copy function and the prvevious !!! (create a second copy of the previous which mark with the suffix (2) ) i tried it few times, i tried to close the pbix, i tried to clean the cache (in the options) and still same issue !

anothe issue is that i prevent deleted the sconds copies with msg that it can't be deleted be because these previous copies are related to the new copies tables (there is no relation between them at all !!) 

If the table is small enough (not more than 3000 cells) you can paste it in the Enter Data tool of PQE. If your table has more cells the answer on creating a new table in PQE with a blank source and typing the table name as a query seems to be a better approach than a copy from the model and paste into PQE. I can see the use case for using either within PBI or externally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have faced scenarios where you would like to do it (the table copy) inside Power Query without waiting for DAX layer.

The copy & past feature, executes again all the steps of the query you are copying, so a lot of unnecessary steps are executed again.

What apparently works to take advantage of previous query results is:

* New Source / Blank Query

* = #"TableToCopyName"

Hope it helps!

Click "new table" under the "modeling tab" under data.  When you're there, it prompts you to name the table.  Name it the same name as the table you wish to copy. It gives you the options of different formulas, but when you start to name it the same as the table you're trying to copy, it should show up and you click on that. Then you'll have a complete copy of the same data table.  Just worked for me.

Then don't do it in the query editor. Do it in the table editor. Hit the New Table button in the Modeling tab and Type NewTable = TableName

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.