Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

initpro
Regular Visitor

Copy relation from one table to another

Is there a way to copy the relations from one table to another table.

I have a few filtered tables with the equal table structure and like to use the same dimension tables.

thanks for your support

11 REPLIES 11
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

What do you meany by this? can you please elaborate and if possible post a data model.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

I have one table t1 which includes data from different section.

This table has a lot of relations to other tables.

My filtered table t2 based on t1 and should have the same relations to the other tables.

therefore I am asking for a convenient way to relate these tables

You can use Autodetect feature for relationships to be automatically defined. 

For more information, Please refer to this documentation from microsoft here.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

thanks for the hint.

I know this feature but even I let to detect auto relation then also other relations are made with no sense.

It would be fine to autodetect relations onle from tables of my choice.

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@initpro What is the reason of having a filtered table with exactly the same dimension tables? what you are trying to achieve?

Regards

Harris

the reason for this filtered table is that I use the Power bi free account and I like to offer our customer data on a dashboard.

The free account does not allow row security on different roles.

If I try to filter rows for a certain dashboard this filter is also shown on the reportdata for a special dashboard and the user that has access to this dashboard is able to delete the filter and see than all data.

So my thoughts behind was I publish only these filtered table data.

But at the moment it's not possible to show filtered table data on the dashboard tile, it seem this is a bug of the service.

I hope my explanation was understandable.

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@initpro You are trying to use filtered table for security setup which is not a good idea. You are also right about the unavailability of row level security in free version. What you are trying to achieve and without having to map the facts and dimensions for each table can be done quickly like this:

- Suppose you have Table X having sales data for three countries US, NL, DE

- You have three sales managers PersonUS, PersonNL, PersonDE who should only see the sales of corresponding regions 

- You have a sales director who should see all sales

- You can create a Power BI files and in source query use something like;

Select ColumnA, ColumnB,ColumnC

From X

It will give you all the records. You can use this table for mapping the dimensions as you have already done.

Create report(s) from this data source.

Now make three copies of PBIX file. Go to each file and change the source query for each country in respective file e.g.

Select ColumnA, ColumnB,ColumnC

From X

Where Country='US'

Only changing the source query will now filter the data for this pbix without having to re-mapp all the dimensions. You can publish all the four reports to Power BI. and create seperate dashboards like Sales Global, Sales US etc.

Share each dashboard with concered manager.

Regards

Harris

Thanks Harris for your comment

only a question:

does the filtered table includes the data after publishing or is the filtered table only a view to the base table?

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@initpro as you are filtering in the source so each report will be published with filtered data. When you will create seperate dashboards from these reports they will also have only filtered data

If you are asking about whether the data is pushed to cloud or not? if you are using import data feature the data will be pushed to cloud (Still filtered) and in DirectQuery mode it will not.

thanks Harris

is direct mode with free account possible?

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@initpro I Don't think so. You can see it here

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.