Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Copy "Tabs" & File Management in Power BI

I have a series of .pbix files recently created through Power BI.

In some cases I would like to combine them into a single file, with multiple tabs.  Is there a way to "copy" the tab of one report and add it to a different .pbix file - similar to Excel?  I would like to avoid rebuilding it if I can, and looking to create a single file, with multiple tabs.

Also, if I move the .pbix file to an alternative location (off of my desktop), is it as simple as a cut/paste to a network location?

Thanks for your input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I mean most formulas, such as calucated columns or measures, or any SQL type statements you might have for your datasources.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @irnm8dn,

I'm not aware of a tool that would quickly merge the contents of two (or more) pbix files.  So you would need to rebuild.  At least you can copy/paste most across from one PBIX File to the other so hopefully it doesn't take too long.

And yes, if you want to move the PBIX file to the network location, cut and paste is perfectly fine.

Cheers,

Phil

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks Phil.  Can you explain what yopu mean that I can "copy/paste most across from one PBIX File to the other", not sure what you mean.

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

In Excel if you select a Sheet that has PowerPivot Pivot Table (built using severeal tables from the Data Model)

Right-click on the Sheet/Tab - select Move/Copy to a brand new book (Excel file)

Move or Copy Excel Sheet.png

ALL tables used to build that PowerPivot Pivot Table are imported in the brand new Excel File

(Relationships set up, Measures included)

Please note NOT all tables from the Data Model but ALL used in the creation of the PowerPivot tables on that specfic Sheet/tab

This would be a nice feature to have in PBI Smiley Happy

(along with many others that have existed in Excel for years...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this feauture to be implemented would be awesome. In a dashboard you can create a lot of visuals that can take up to 2-3 hours. If we could copy the tab into another pbix by simply copy/pasting would be perfect.

I mean most formulas, such as calucated columns or measures, or any SQL type statements you might have for your datasources.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Although Power BI Desktop does keep track of Recent Data Sources so that might also be useful in speeding up your rebuild.

Recent Sources.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.