Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IVERK-EG
Frequent Visitor

Copy layout from power bi file

Hi everyone,

I was wondring if it's possible to copy the entire layout from one power bi file to another - without making a copy of the original or saving the orginal file as a template ?

I hope someone is able to help me

Thx ! 🙂 

6 REPLIES 6
NipponSahore
Resolver II
Resolver II

You can copy report components from one file to another once both the files are published on PowerBI Service. 

Maybe you can try this and then copy all page items from one report to another

Hi' NipponSahore

First of all - thanks for the reply. Could you please show me because i'm not completly sure of how you mean ?

Best Regards

@NipponSahoreis referring to using the File | Publish functionality in Desktop to publish to Power BI Service. You would do that with your original file and then create a brand new file based on the same data source. Then in the Service (powerbi.com) you could copy visuals from one to the other. 

The core question I have though is what exactly you mean by "layout"?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

I've been working on converting an existing Power BI report from using a Power BI Service Dataset to SQL-Server Analysis Service instead. The report is the same as before, it's only the connection type which is changes.

Capture.PNG

I then thought the easies way was to make a new Power BI file ( with the SSAS-connection ) and then copy the Layout/design ( not Theme ) from the original report.

Am I clear ? 🙂 

Ah, OK this is a different problem really then. So, if you are NOT using a Direct Query (Live) connection, then your best bet would be to use the Advanced Editor in the Query Editor to simply change the data source. Then everything will work perfectly as long as your table and column names are the same. So, what you generally do is to go into Query Editor and create a new query to your new target data source (SSAS). You go into Advanced Editor and copy the Source line and possibly the Navigation step as well. Then you go to your original query, open Advanced Editor and replace your Source and possibly Navigation step(s).

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

And what to do if I am using Direct Query ( Live connection ) ?.

Since Power Bi Services is a Live Connection, the Analysis Services also has to be a Live Connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.