Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zapppsr
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Copy custom columns created by DAX from one Power Bi file to another Power BI File

Copy custom columns created by DAX from one Power BI file to another Power BI File

Hi!

I have some files that have tables with custom columns created by DAX. Eg. 5 custom columns.

When I create a new file, I can go to the Advanced Editor in Power Query and copy the query to the new file. But it doesn't take the custom columns created by DAX outside Power Query.

Is there a way to copy all 5 columns from one file to another instead of copying DAX formulas 5 times and recreate the columns in the new file?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi zapppsr, 

In addtion, I would suggest you to export current report to pbit.(Power bi template). Click File-> Export-> Power BI template.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi zapppsr,

Power query works on raw table loading, shaping and transformation based in mashup engine. However  DAX works on building of data model based on MDX engine. If you just paste the code in advanced query, you could not get the data model in another pbix file. So I'm afriad you should convert the DAX custom column into power query custom column and try again.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @zapppsr

the custom columns added by using DAX do not appear in the Query Editor. Are you able to add them within Power Query instead of DAX?

IF you want to reuse the same model within different files you can upload the dataset into Power BI service and then connect live to it via different files as well.

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Hi. Some columns use RELATED() in DAX to improve some features, so they might not be posssible in Power Query, or not practical.

But thanks for anwering!

Hi zapppsr, 

In addtion, I would suggest you to export current report to pbit.(Power bi template). Click File-> Export-> Power BI template.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thank you for the suggstions guys!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.