Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

taumirza
Helper IV
Helper IV

Copy Visualizations

Hi All,

Is there any workaround to copy a visual from one report to another report in PBI Desktop where datasets are the same in both reports?

Except 'Save As' (whihch is not efficient for me).

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@taumirza

If you mean to copy Visuals between two different instance under Power BI Desktop, I am afraid this is not available.
However, when they are both published to Power BI service, then we could simply take use of Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V to copy and paste visuals based on the same dataset in different reports. This works, but when saving, it will generate error below
Capture.PNG

So the conclusion to copy visuals between different reports, is that the option is currently not supported.
Please also check the idea below, vote for it if this idea is what you would like Power BI to improve as well.
Allow copy and paste between different PBIX's

When under Power Bi service (which is the same in Power BI desktop), Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V would work on different pages in the same report when dealing with visuals, in addition, we could also take use of duplicate this page under Power BI.
Copy and paste a visualization in Power BI
Duplicate a report page in Power BI

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
indhu
Helper III
Helper III

@taumirza 

Please check this move-visuals-between-reports. I came across such a situation as yours and followed the above link which worked fine for me and was successfully able to copy the visuals from one report to another. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Indhu.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@taumirza

If you mean to copy Visuals between two different instance under Power BI Desktop, I am afraid this is not available.
However, when they are both published to Power BI service, then we could simply take use of Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V to copy and paste visuals based on the same dataset in different reports. This works, but when saving, it will generate error below
Capture.PNG

So the conclusion to copy visuals between different reports, is that the option is currently not supported.
Please also check the idea below, vote for it if this idea is what you would like Power BI to improve as well.
Allow copy and paste between different PBIX's

When under Power Bi service (which is the same in Power BI desktop), Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V would work on different pages in the same report when dealing with visuals, in addition, we could also take use of duplicate this page under Power BI.
Copy and paste a visualization in Power BI
Duplicate a report page in Power BI

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

You can copy data sources from the query editor of the "source" report into the query editor of the "destination" report. 
All the steps you applied will also be copied.
At that point is only about recreating the same charts and dragging the same fields.
Of course you will need also to rebuild the measure and columns created in the edit view.
Not a total solution but at least it's a thing, and it saves tons of time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.