Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TrentS
Helper III
Helper III

Copy RLS to another report

Good day all,

After searching here and Google, I am not finding any solution to an easy method of transfering RLS settings to either a new or an existing report.

I have a Worldwide tool in use and apply RLS based on Geography/Region/Country settings. I have a large number of users and (shudder) close to 200 roles assigned attached to multiple filters/tables underneath. I would like to apply this set of RLS to both existing reports and new ones coming up.

Aside from deleting existing pbix content from the existing report and using it as a way to start the new ones (with the complications involved therein), have I missed something in my search to enable the RLS to be copied to other pbix files?

Anyone able to save me a lot of work here?

Your time and response is MOST appreciated!

Trent

2 REPLIES 2
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @TrentS 

Assuming you will be using the same data in the following report. You could publish the report with RLS to the service and connect new reports to the PowerBI Dataset. This will ensure the reports all use a single dataset meaning no changes can occur between reports' data and the RLS will apply to each report built on that dataset.

The other option is to look into Dynamic RLS which is a single role that differs depending on the user.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

George,

Thanks for your response. Reminding me that it was attached to the dataset is good as I sometime forget that. It will be a similar dataset but I was hoping to restructure it for the next version. Guess I need to make a decision as to which process will be the least taxing.

I have also made a suggestion that might cut the required RLS entries in half to the project sponsor.

Hopefully Microsoft will implement some functionality to allow easier transfer in the future.

Trent

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.