Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Copy-Paste with keyboard shortcuts broken in Advanced Editor

Since a while back, I cannot copy code from the Advanced Editor anymore. I can right-click and select copy, but I cannot use ctrl + c (or ctrl + x). The clipboard does not get updated. When I paste afterward, my previous clipboard item gets pasted.

I can use it fine in all other settings in PBI: copy visuals, copy whole queries outside the advanced editor, copy from the dax editor. It is just in the Advanced Editor it is broken.

How can I fix it? Or is this a general Power BI Desktop issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have identified the issue. Apparently Power BI uses Internet Explorer internally in several locations.

One of these occasions is OAuth login through a custom connector. But for one of our data providers, log in through IE is blocked. To work around that, we had set the user agent to "iPad". That made our connector work.

But because the Advanced Editor also runs on Internet Explorer, the user agent hack apparently breaks some features there. Among them the ctrl + c behavior. 

This also explains why no one else outside our organization had the same issue. We have changed the user agent once again, to one that works for both the Advanced Editor and for OAuth login.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

My colleagues have the same issue.

I created a gif to show the issue:

copy-paste not working.gif

Version: 2.93.981.0 64-bit (May 2021)

I have identified the issue. Apparently Power BI uses Internet Explorer internally in several locations.

One of these occasions is OAuth login through a custom connector. But for one of our data providers, log in through IE is blocked. To work around that, we had set the user agent to "iPad". That made our connector work.

But because the Advanced Editor also runs on Internet Explorer, the user agent hack apparently breaks some features there. Among them the ctrl + c behavior. 

This also explains why no one else outside our organization had the same issue. We have changed the user agent once again, to one that works for both the Advanced Editor and for OAuth login.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@BlobBlobHopHop I am not seeing this issue. On:

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.