Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prakash11440278
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Copy, Duplicate & Reference in Query Editor

Hi All,

Can you please let me know the difference between Copy, Duplicate & Reference in Query Editor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@prakash11440278,

Sure.

1) When you press COPY then you can paste this query many times using PASTE option. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

2) When you press DUPLICATE you can have only 1 copy of query at one time. To repeat this action you need to press DUPLICATE one more time. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

3) If you press REFERENCE then it uses previous query as reference and apply all new steps based on reference query. Once you change initial query then it will automatically apply to dependent query. You can have many dependent queries which will change automatically once intial one is updated.

I hope it is clear.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@prakash11440278,

Sure.

1) When you press COPY then you can paste this query many times using PASTE option. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

2) When you press DUPLICATE you can have only 1 copy of query at one time. To repeat this action you need to press DUPLICATE one more time. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

3) If you press REFERENCE then it uses previous query as reference and apply all new steps based on reference query. Once you change initial query then it will automatically apply to dependent query. You can have many dependent queries which will change automatically once intial one is updated.

I hope it is clear.

Adding a point here:

Copy-pasting Query vs Duplicating Query

If a query consists of several queries with dependencies between them, when copying/pasting, all
dependent queries are copied as well. 
Suppose in Power Query if we create a function "F" and then use that function in a query "Q":

1. and copy-paste only query "Q" ,then a function "F (2)" will be created along with new query "Q (2)" and the "Q (2)" would refer the "F (2)".
  2. But if we just duplicate the query "Q", only the "Q (2)" query will be generated which will refer the same function "F"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding Reference - if I filter a table within the Query Editor and afterwards reference this table, will the new table (created by the reference) keep this same filter or will I have to filter both?

@Anonymous,

You can apply any transformation on first table (including filters) and then all reference tables will be affected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.