cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prakash11440278 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Copy, Duplicate & Reference in Query Editor

Hi All,

Can you please let me know the difference between Copy, Duplicate & Reference in Query Editor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
zoloturu
Advisor

Re: Copy, Duplicate & Reference in Query Editor

@prakash11440278,

Sure.

1) When you press COPY then you can paste this query many times using PASTE option. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

2) When you press DUPLICATE you can have only 1 copy of query at one time. To repeat this action you need to press DUPLICATE one more time. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

3) If you press REFERENCE then it uses previous query as reference and apply all new steps based on reference query. Once you change initial query then it will automatically apply to dependent query. You can have many dependent queries which will change automatically once intial one is updated.

I hope it is clear.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
zoloturu
Advisor

@prakash11440278,

Sure.

1) When you press COPY then you can paste this query many times using PASTE option. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

2) When you press DUPLICATE you can have only 1 copy of query at one time. To repeat this action you need to press DUPLICATE one more time. As result you receive the same query with same connection and transformations. No connection to initial query.

3) If you press REFERENCE then it uses previous query as reference and apply all new steps based on reference query. Once you change initial query then it will automatically apply to dependent query. You can have many dependent queries which will change automatically once intial one is updated.

I hope it is clear.

karlanka Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Regarding Reference - if I filter a table within the Query Editor and afterwards reference this table, will the new table (created by the reference) keep this same filter or will I have to filter both?

zoloturu
Advisor

@karlanka,

You can apply any transformation on first table (including filters) and then all reference tables will be affected.