Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

askelton
Resolver I
Resolver I

Converting "Measure -> Calculated table -> Calculated Column", into single measure

I am fairly new to PowerBI and am working to complete the following goal.  I have a large data set in the form of columns A:D and I would like to have a measure which calculates column H, which I could filter and graph on my report.  

Index.PNG

While playing around with PowerBI I was able to create this roughly (in a way that doesn't work with filters on the report), in 3 main steps.  

1) Weighted % Change Measure from raw data (In forms of columns A:D)

WeightedMeasure = (Sum(CurrentExtended)-Sum(PastExtended))/Sum(PastExtended)

2) Creating a intermediate calculated table with unique date values and the related weighted monthly % change

Intermediate = distinct(Table1[Dates])

and the calculated column : 

WeightedChange = Calculate([WeightedMeasure])

3) I then used a calculated column to create the Index: (Luckily how my data is formulated, the Dec-16 is included in the unique values when making the intermediate table, and returns with a blank entry in the weighted measure field.

Index = 100 * PRODUCTX ( filter (Intermediate, Intermediate[Dates] <= earlier(Intermediate[Dates])), Intermediate[WeightedChange] + 1)

This compounds the growth from the base of 100 for each month and comes out with the correct answer.

However, this calculated column (and I believe the use of the intermediate table entirely), does not allow report filters to affect this.   So when I have 2 separate graphs on my report, one the WeightedMeasure over time, and one the Index over time.  The WeightedMeasure reacts to report filters, however the Index does not.

How can I get the index as a measure which reacts to the filters?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@askelton

5.PNG

Please specify the aggregation type in "Default Summarization", it supposes to respond to filter/slicer.

Or you can write your Index column into a measure like:

index measure =
CALCULATE (
        * PRODUCTX ( Intermediate, Intermediate[WeightedChange] + 1 ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Intermediate ),
        Intermediate[Dates] <= MAX ( Intermediate[Dates] )
    )
)

Regards, 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@askelton

5.PNG

Please specify the aggregation type in "Default Summarization", it supposes to respond to filter/slicer.

Or you can write your Index column into a measure like:

index measure =
CALCULATE (
        * PRODUCTX ( Intermediate, Intermediate[WeightedChange] + 1 ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Intermediate ),
        Intermediate[Dates] <= MAX ( Intermediate[Dates] )
    )
)

Regards, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.