Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RyanMurtagh
Regular Visitor

Converting a basic Excel formula into DAX for a new column in Power BI

Hi,

So basically I made the below formula in Excel (I know it is a mess)

=IF(TODAY()-D9<30,1,IF(AND(TODAY()-D9>=30,TODAY()-D9<90),2,IF(AND(TODAY()-D9>=90,TODAY()-D9<180),3,IF(AND(TODAY()-D9>=180,TODAY()-D9<270),4,IF(AND(TODAY()-D9>=270,TODAY()-D9<360),5,IF(TODAY()-D9>=360,6))))))

D9 is a standin for where column I will need to use. Essentially I need this column to display a specific value based on the range it is in (using todays date - D9)

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello,

DAX resembles many excels formulas. As a side note, if you have 2016 excel that is updated, you can use the IFS function that eliminates the need for nested if statements. 

This function is not in Power BI, so you can use nested IF. Personally, I would use the SWITCH:

You can do this in a measure:

Measure = 
var _val = TODAY() - SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Column1])
RETURN
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
_val < 30 , 1,
_val < 90 , 2,
_val < 180 , 3,
_val < 270 , 4,
_val < 360 , 5,
)

and change Table1[Column1] to the value from D9.

If you do need a column, simply remove "SELECTEDVALUE". However, it owuld be more eficient as a measure, or to write in Power Query.

The section:

will store as a variable so you don't need to write (and calculate) it every time.

SWITCH will match the first expression with a value. The first expression is TRUE(), so it will go through each value ( _val <30, _Val < 60 etc) and match the first one that is TRUE, and return the result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello,

DAX resembles many excels formulas. As a side note, if you have 2016 excel that is updated, you can use the IFS function that eliminates the need for nested if statements. 

This function is not in Power BI, so you can use nested IF. Personally, I would use the SWITCH:

You can do this in a measure:

Measure = 
RETURN
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
_val < 30 , 1,
_val < 90 , 2,
_val < 180 , 3,
_val < 270 , 4,
_val < 360 , 5,
)

and change Table1[Column1] to the value from D9.

If you do need a column, simply remove "SELECTEDVALUE". However, it owuld be more eficient as a measure, or to write in Power Query.

The section:

will store as a variable so you don't need to write (and calculate) it every time.

SWITCH will match the first expression with a value. The first expression is TRUE(), so it will go through each value ( _val <30, _Val < 60 etc) and match the first one that is TRUE, and return the result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.