Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting Whole Number to Time

Hi All,

I have this data of Transaction Time in my table and it shows the time as a whole number. E.g. 23:00 is shown as 2300. How can I convert it into time format? I tried transforming it but it returned all the values as 12:00. Your inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much! 

trtime.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you should be able to use the formula(DAX) below to create a new calculate column to convert your original column to time format. Smiley Happy

Column =
IF (
    LEN ( Table2[TR_TIME] ) = 4,
    LEFT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 ) & ":"
        & RIGHT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 ),
    LEFT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 1 ) & ":"
        & RIGHT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 )
)

c1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you should be able to use the formula(DAX) below to create a new calculate column to convert your original column to time format. Smiley Happy

Column =
IF (
    LEN ( Table2[TR_TIME] ) = 4,
    LEFT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 ) & ":"
        & RIGHT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 ),
    LEFT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 1 ) & ":"
        & RIGHT ( Table2[TR_TIME], 2 )
)

c1.PNG

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

i have a lot of stats on times that are in csv format that i have imported to power bi. the formula above  works to a certain extent. besides the 3- or 4-digit times (example 115 representing 1:15 or 1615 representing 16:15 that seem seem to work using above formula,  there are times that are just 1 or 2 digits (example 7 which represents 00:07 or 22 that represents 00:22) that may require modification to the formula. kindly advise on how to handle by dax formula for those timing numbers ranging from 1-4 digits.

tks, -nik

Anonymous
Not applicable

i found the solution in creating a calculated column (PLN_DEP_TIME) for the column (CRS_DEP_TIME) from the '2017'-table contains those 1-4 digit times as follows. the resultant column wil subsequently b set to hh.nn time-format:

PLN_DEP_TIME =

IF ( LEN ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME] ) = 4,
LEFT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 2 ) & ":" & RIGHT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 2 ),

IF ( LEN ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME] ) = 3,
LEFT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 1 ) & ":" & RIGHT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 2 ),

IF ( LEN ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME] ) = 2,
"0:" & RIGHT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 2 ),

"0:0" & RIGHT ( '2017'[CRS_DEP_TIME], 1 )
)))
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-ljerr-msft thank you so much! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally Time is held as a decimal number between 0 and 1.  You'll firstly need to convert your time to ensure that its not HHMM (i.e. if 13:50 is stored as 1350, you'll need to change it to be stored as 1383).  Once you have done that, you can divide the number by 2400

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.