Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting Unix timestamp to DateTime and NOT having to Import to accomplish this

Hi all you Power BI gurus!   Hope you can help the newbie out here...   I have attempted to convert from an SQL database the Unix timestamp and have done so...HOWEVER, it forces me to change my connection type to the database to Import which is not a fesible option.  The database is just too big.  

I have attempted to create a column and create some sort of calculated field using the suggestions in all the other blogs here, but am still coming up short.   Please let me know if I am chasing a pipe dream right now.....Thanks in advance and if you need any other information about what I am trying to accomplish, please let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Did you converted timestamp using dax expression? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a new column and used this as a formula, which worked, but made me change the connection type to Import.

#datetime(1970,1,1,0,0,0) + #duration(0,-5,0,[F_CRTM])

I tried to use a DAX formula but it gives me an error when I try to type in the field ([UnixTime] in the formula but I type in the field I want it to convert) right at field name and says it can't find it.   Below is the formula I was using.  

UTCTime = VAR UnixDays = [UnixTime]/(60*60*24)
RETURN (DATEVALUE("1/1/1970")+UnixDays)

Does this answer your question?

Did you turned on "Allow unrestricted measure in direct query mode" if not then goto options and settings -> Option -> Direct Query , check the option.

Try and see if it works

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That option is already checked  Smiley Sad  But thank you!   I did learn something new with your suggestion.   I did not know that was there.

Hi,  wondering if this was ever resolved.  I'm facing the same issue and can't find a resolution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.