Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Daven
Helper II
Helper II

Converting UTC to EST

Hi, 

I am looking to convert UTC datetime column to EST daylight saving. How do I convert it in PowerBI?

Thank for your help in advance

Daven

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

To just convert what @mahoneypat posted works, but if you are trying to compensate for DST dynamically, see the following M code.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VZDLCQAhDAV78Sxonv9axP7bWLNPMN4mDMYhc7oUBAFRmvNOJBTy8r8RnTpNJh8TdRo0iUzT94BIIeTzRBdAaBr5GF0A0FTyMZqGdNM2mwDkG7CZZuhQKEA2ZdWI+pQ1U9ae/7v5v9vTYNzTYNiyFG/Z5rU+", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [dtDSTStart = _t, dtDSTEnd = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"dtDSTStart", type date}, {"dtDSTEnd", type date}}),
    varCurrentDate = DateTime.Date(DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-8)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [dtDSTStart] < varCurrentDate and [dtDSTEnd] > varCurrentDate),
    varDSTOffset = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows"),
    #"Last Refresh Date" = #table(
        type table
            [
                #"RefreshDate"=datetimezone
            ],
        {
            {DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-8 + varDSTOffset,0)}
        }
        )
in
    #"Last Refresh Date"

If, in Power Query, you select the gear icon next to the Source, you will see the table for US DST on/off times. YOu need to change my -8 for PST to -5 for EST. This will dynamically add or not add 1 hr for DST as needed depending on the system calendar.

If you just want to calculate the DST offset (1 or 0), then remove the last lenghty step:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VZDLCQAhDAV78Sxonv9axP7bWLNPMN4mDMYhc7oUBAFRmvNOJBTy8r8RnTpNJh8TdRo0iUzT94BIIeTzRBdAaBr5GF0A0FTyMZqGdNM2mwDkG7CZZuhQKEA2ZdWI+pQ1U9ae/7v5v9vTYNzTYNiyFG/Z5rU+", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [dtDSTStart = _t, dtDSTEnd = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"dtDSTStart", type date}, {"dtDSTEnd", type date}}),
    varCurrentDate = DateTime.Date(DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-8)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [dtDSTStart] < varCurrentDate and [dtDSTEnd] > varCurrentDate),
    varDSTOffset = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    varDSTOffset

Then, using the formulas @mahoneypat listed, you can use something like 

=DateTimeZone.SwitchZone([UTC Date Column],-8 + varDSTOffset,0)

1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daven

Check the reference below:

https://intellitect.com/convert-utc-local-time-daylight-savings-support-power-bi/

Best Regards,
Kelly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Akinais

Code:

DateTimeZone.SwitchZone( <datetime>,DateTimeZone.ZoneHours(DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow())))

Explanation:

DateTimeZone.ZoneHours(DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow()) defines the offset from GMT

SwitchZones takes the offset for conversion

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daven

Check the reference below:

https://intellitect.com/convert-utc-local-time-daylight-savings-support-power-bi/

Best Regards,
Kelly

edhans
Super User
Super User

To just convert what @mahoneypat posted works, but if you are trying to compensate for DST dynamically, see the following M code.

let
    varDSTOffset = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows"),
    #"Last Refresh Date" = #table(
        type table
            [
                #"RefreshDate"=datetimezone
            ],
        {
            {DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-8 + varDSTOffset,0)}
        }
        )
in
    #"Last Refresh Date"

If, in Power Query, you select the gear icon next to the Source, you will see the table for US DST on/off times. YOu need to change my -8 for PST to -5 for EST. This will dynamically add or not add 1 hr for DST as needed depending on the system calendar.

If you just want to calculate the DST offset (1 or 0), then remove the last lenghty step:

let
    varDSTOffset = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    varDSTOffset

Then, using the formulas @mahoneypat listed, you can use something like 

1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans,

I am facing the similar issue where I need to convert UTC datetime column to EST daylight saving. Your solution is very usefull however I am stuck at the second step. I created a new query and put the M code you provided. Now I am not sure where to put the below formula. Do I create a new step in the Query where I have my datetime column in UTC timezone? I tried doing so, it gives me error that varDSTOffset wasn't recognized.
Sorry, this might a stupid question but I am not sure what to do now.   

Thank you very much in advance! 

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

In the query editor, you can use one of the DateTimeZone functions like DateTimeZone.ToLocal or DateTimeZone.SwitchZone.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/datetimezone-zonehours

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.