cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brett_walton
Helper II
Helper II

Converting SAP or Unix time stamp

SAP posted data with a time stamp that is seconds since 1/1/1990   example  8,461,585,290,000

What the best way to convert this to a date and time field 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @brett_walton

Firstly, according to my knowledge, the Unix time stamp is a whole number value, which is number of seconds from 1/1/1970 rather than from 1/1/1990.

Secondly, you can use one of the following two methods to covert Unix time stamp to date time.

1. In Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, add a custom column and specify that using the following formula. There is an example in the following screenshot for your reference.

#datetime(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0 ) + #duration(0, 0, 0, [Timestampcolumn])

1.PNG

2. Create a calculated column in Data view of Power BI Desktop using the following formula.

sapdatetime = VAR sapDays = Table[Timestampcolumn]/(60*60*24)
RETURN (DATEVALUE("1/1/1970")+sapDays)

2.PNG

Thirdly, do you post the correct timestamp value? When I convert the example number 8,461,585,290,000 to date time, I get the following error message.

3.PNG

Besides, if you are sure that the timestamp is calculated from 1/1/1990, please replace 1/1/1970 with 1/1/1990 in the above formulas.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @brett_walton

Firstly, according to my knowledge, the Unix time stamp is a whole number value, which is number of seconds from 1/1/1970 rather than from 1/1/1990.

Secondly, you can use one of the following two methods to covert Unix time stamp to date time.

1. In Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, add a custom column and specify that using the following formula. There is an example in the following screenshot for your reference.

#datetime(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0 ) + #duration(0, 0, 0, [Timestampcolumn])

1.PNG

2. Create a calculated column in Data view of Power BI Desktop using the following formula.

sapdatetime = VAR sapDays = Table[Timestampcolumn]/(60*60*24)
RETURN (DATEVALUE("1/1/1970")+sapDays)

2.PNG

Thirdly, do you post the correct timestamp value? When I convert the example number 8,461,585,290,000 to date time, I get the following error message.

3.PNG

Besides, if you are sure that the timestamp is calculated from 1/1/1990, please replace 1/1/1970 with 1/1/1990 in the above formulas.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you this worked , I realize UNIX is 1970 was just using it as a reference. You are correct about the time stamp digging into it SAP multiples the number by 10,000 so I had to divide and it all worked out.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!