Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CR205664

Converting Multiple Currencies into One Currency

My lookup Table has about 9 currencies and my Primary Key is the colum that has them identified by 3 letters (USD,JPY,EUR).  My Data table also has the Currency field in the same 3 letters. This is how i've related my 2 tables.  

I thought a measure would be better than a calculated column - but I'm struggling with a way to relate these two tables.  Old School Excel is just a VLookUP  but when i try to write DAX with "related" i get no where. 

Fx Lookup Table
USD 1.0
JPY 0.0091
EUR 1.174

Data Table
Currency  Total Paid
USD          2.0
JPY            1500.5
EUR           25

How do i see my total PAID in USD for my entire Data Table?

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @CR205664,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please share your data sample as table format and your desired output so that we could help further on it?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If you already have a relationship between the tables, you don’t need lookupvalue. 

Set up a matrix

place currency from the fx lookup table (not the data table) in the matrix on rows. 

Add a measure: base currency value = sum(data[value]) to the matrix

add another measure: converted value = sumx(fxTable,fxTable[rate] * [base currency value])

there is a lot going on in this formula - the apparent simplicity belies the complexity under the hood. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.