Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sgross
Helper I
Helper I

Converting Decimal Hours to Time Format

Is there a nice easy way to convert decimal hours into hours/minutes in Power BI? A function that essentially does this?

For example, turning 3.5 hours into 3 hours and 30 minutes?

I've found a calculation to perform this function in Excel, but it apparently doesn't work for any values over 24.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be able to use this DAX pattern, based on seconds rather than hours: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Aggregating-Duration-Time/ba-p/22486

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@sgross

In your scenario, you can take the integer part for Hours and use decimal part to calculate the Minutes. Populate both fields into TIME() function and format them into a time. Please refer to formula below:

Column = FORMAT(TIME(TRUNC(Table1[Column2],0),(Table1[Column2]-TRUNC(Table1[Column2],0))*60,0),"long time")

99.PNG

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this, this worked really well.
Is there a way to stop it being a "text" format though as i would like to SUM the output of this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also do this in the Query editor:

= Time.Hour([Time])+(Time.Minute([Time)/60)+(Time.Minute([Time])/3600)

No problems with text format. 

Hi

I have this case but in reverse. I need to convert a Time value to a Decimal value. In Excel I did not have any problems doing it because I took the "Tiempo Transcurrido (Time Lapsed)" field and multiplied it by 24.

TiempoTranscurrido Excel_SLA.JPG

I tried some functions (Time, Value) but I can not find the result. I have tried how to extract each of these values and then convert them into a number but I can not find a function that does it.

If I try to convert that column to Time format, it gives me an error

TiempoTranscurrido.JPG

For me this value of Hour in decimal is very important for the calculations that I need to do.

I would greatly appreciate your help

Thank you

@jbolivar wrote:

Hi

I have this case but in reverse. I need to convert a Time value to a Decimal value. In Excel I did not have any problems doing it because I took the "Tiempo Transcurrido (Time Lapsed)" field and multiplied it by 24.

TiempoTranscurrido Excel_SLA.JPG

I tried some functions (Time, Value) but I can not find the result. I have tried how to extract each of these values and then convert them into a number but I can not find a function that does it.

If I try to convert that column to Time format, it gives me an error

TiempoTranscurrido.JPG

For me this value of Hour in decimal is very important for the calculations that I need to do.

I would greatly appreciate your help

Thank you

Friends,

I have solved this case using Power Query M function

=Number.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Tiempo transcurrido],":",0)) + (Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([Tiempo transcurrido],":",":")))/60 + (Number.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter([Tiempo transcurrido],":",1)))/3600.

Thank you

An alternative would be:

= List.Sum(
    List.Transform(
        List.Zip({
            Text.Split(
                [Tiempo transcurrido],
                ":"),
            {1,60,3600}}),
        each Number.From(_{0})/_{1})
    )
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

@MarcelBeug wrote:

An alternative would be:

= List.Sum(
    List.Transform(
        List.Zip({
            Text.Split(
                [Tiempo transcurrido],
                ":"),
            {1,60,3600}}),
        each Number.From(_{0})/_{1})
    )

Excellent..it worked too 

Thank you

Hello @v-sihou-msft, thanks for your help. I'm completely new to this, so I could use a little more direction. Are you entering those functions using R Script?

Is there any way to achieve the same effect in the Query Editor? Creating a seperate column with the converted values?

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you want to exceed 24 hours, then you need Duration format, like:

Duration.From([DecimalTime]/24)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Yes, this saved me. I can't believe it was so hard to find this. So many convoluted solutions lol

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.