Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cdn4lf
Frequent Visitor

Converting Date Format

Hi All,

I am trying to convert yyyy-MM-ddThh:mm:ss to yy-mm-dd.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cdn4lf
Frequent Visitor

I figured this out.  I had to convert at the query level, not at the design level.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NSE

What I did was first converting the data to date so for that I created an additional column with the formula "Date = Left(DateTimeColumn,10), then convert the date to whatever format you want in the Column tools, Data Type- Date and Format to the one you want.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

If it is detected as date then

new = format([Table]date, "yy-mm-dd")

If it is text then

new = mid([Table]date,3,8)

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Is there a way to do this without needing to add a new column?  I was hoping for a workaround that would allow me to convert to date format.  

If I have to resort to coding, I can, but this affects multiple columns across a large number of tables.

Thank you,

cdn4lf
Frequent Visitor

I figured this out.  I had to convert at the query level, not at the design level.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@cdn4lf 

Sean, 

Choose the datatype as date instead of datetime and select the format as yy-mm-dd in Report view.

Refer to the first screenshot and box 3. Choose the datatype and format dropdown.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-view

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
cdn4lf
Frequent Visitor

I am unable to convert to date format.  I tried that before posting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.