Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roncruiser
Helper V
Helper V

Convert value from measure to a Constant Value

Hi,

Not sure why this happens.  

I have a variable measure that gives me the expected value, but doesn't perform as expected when plugged into the main measure.

When I hardcode the same variable value, the main measure performs as expected.

I've been reading around the powerbi community and what I need from the variable is to convert the value to a constant.  Is this possible?

Here is the full Measure:

//This variable needs to be converted to a constant value.

VAR Variable1 = CALCULATE( sumx(maintable, maintable[Value]), Filter(All(maintable[position]), maintable[position] = 1), maintable[intensity]=0 )

RETURN

//The VAR from above is plugged into the measure below.  When Variable1 is instead hardcoded with the same fixed/contant //value the measure works perfectly.  Is there a workaround?

//In other words, remove the context from the calculated variable values so it's seen as a constant singular value.

if(or(SUM(maintable[position]) = 0 && sum(maintable[Value]) = Variable1,

(SUM(maintable[intensity]) = 0 && sum(maintable[Value]]) = Variable1)),

Sum(maintable[Value]) +1, Sum(maintable[Value]))

Thank You.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@selimovd looking at the measure, it will not work because you are using only one column in ALL function and it will fail to filter Intensity column. Just my 2 cents.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Hi  @roncruiser ,

Modify your variable as below:

Variable1 =
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        ALL (maintable[position],maintable[intensity]),
        maintable[position] = 1
            && maintable[intensity] = 0
    ),
    maintable[Value]
)

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@selimovd looking at the measure, it will not work because you are using only one column in ALL function and it will fail to filter Intensity column. Just my 2 cents.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hey @parry2k ,

you're absolutely right. I Didn't test the function. I found the approach with CALCULATE and SUMX unusual, so I tried a quick fix. But you're right, like this it won't return a table.

Best regards

Denis

roncruiser
Helper V
Helper V

@selimovd 

@parry2k 

Here is the full Measure:

//This variable needs to be converted to a constant value.

VAR Variable1 = CALCULATE( sumx(maintable, maintable[Value]), Filter(All(maintable[position]), maintable[position] = 1), maintable[intensity]=0 )

RETURN

//The VAR from above is plugged into the measure below.  When Variable1 is instead hardcoded with the same fixed/contant value the measure works perfectly.  Is there a workaround?

if(or(SUM(maintable[position]) = 0 && sum(maintable[Value]) = Variable1,

(SUM(maintable[intensity]) = 0 && sum(maintable[Value]]) = Variable1)),

Sum(maintable[Value]) +1, Sum(maintable[Value]))

Hi  @roncruiser ,

Modify your variable as below:

Variable1 =
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        ALL (maintable[position],maintable[intensity]),
        maintable[position] = 1
            && maintable[intensity] = 0
    ),
    maintable[Value]
)

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thank You.

Hey @roncruiser ,

in general it's very uncommon to use SUMX within CALCULATE and also that you put some arguments in FILTER and some in the context of CALCULATE.

I would do the FILTER part in the SUMX:

Variable1 =
SUMX(
    FILTER(
        ALL( maintable[position] ),
        maintable[position] = 1 && maintable[intensity] = 0
    ),
    maintable[Value]
)

Can you check if that will result in the same value?

Then when you add the "Variable1" in your main measure, which of the results will be executed?

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @roncruiser ,

in Power BI there is nothing like a fixed value for a measure. 

A measure always has a filter context and is executed in that context. If you measure returns another value than when you integrate it into another value, then the context is different.

Can you show the main measure and how you integrate it? Also, please show some data and how you analyze (table, bar chart, etc.). That makes it easier to understand what contexts are working on a measure.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@roncruiser where is a variable here? Not sure I followed your post. Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.