Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Convert utc to local time zone using Power Query

It doesn't work for me either. 😞

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem. It's unfortunate that there's no proper native support for converting between timezones.

This is what i did for a quick and simple converstion of a UTC column to a new AEST column, taking DST into consideration:

1. Open Query Editor
  2. Add a new column, and specify the m query below. The below will take the "Created" date in UTC, get the GMT offset based on the DST change-over dates in UTC for my region, and then pass that into DateTimeZone.SwitchZone to get the "Created" date in AEST.
  3. Set the data type to Date

// Convert "Created" date from UTC to AEST
let createdString = Number.ToText(Date.Year([Created]))
& Text.PadStart(Number.ToText(Date.Month([Created])), 2, "0")
& Text.PadStart(Number.ToText(Date.Day([Created])), 2, "0")
& Text.PadStart(Number.ToText(Time.Hour([Created])), 2, "0"),

createdNum = Number.FromText(createdString),

// AEST time: get the offset depending on whether it's daylight savings time or not (GMT+11 or GMT+10) by looking at the DST change-over times in GMT 0
timeZoneOffsetAEST = if createdNum >= 2017093016 and createdNum < 2018033117 
then "11" 
else 
	if createdNum >= 2018100616 and createdNum < 2019040617
	then "11" 
	else 
        if createdNum >= 2019100516 and createdNum < 2020040417 
	    then "11" 
	    else 
            if createdNum >= 2020100316 and createdNum < 2021040317 
	        then "11" 
	        else "10",

createdInAEST = DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.From([Created]),Number.FromText(timeZoneOffsetAEST),0)

in createdInAEST

There are better solutions where people are importing a table of GMT offsets from excel spreadsheets, or by querying a web service, since powerBI is able to query web. I just needed a quick and simple solution that would work well enough for the next few years, so i just hard coded the DST times (GMT+11) times for the next few years to get the right GMT offset.

Highlighted

I have put in a feature request for PowerBI to natively support timezone and DST conversion. Please upvote if you'd like to see this happen: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/33732571-time-zone-conversion-acc...

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Please try DateTimeZone.RemoveZone(DateTimeZone.ToLocal(DateTime.AddZone([#"Date_UTC"],0)))

Hope it helps !

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

That's incorrect: this only adds the timezone reference to the existing DateTime, but doesn't actually add or substract hours.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors