Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jawed
Helper III
Helper III

Convert text to number

Hi everyone,

I am new to Power BI and this is my first attempt at uploading my budget and actual numbers. Because my budget is columnar, I needed to use the "Unpivot Column" option to sort out the Dates (which used to be the column header) and the amounts (which used to be the figures underneath the Dates header). Having done that, I then went ahead and changed the column type for both Dates (to dates types) and Amount column to "Fixed Decimal Number". 

By applying and closing, I am not able to get the budget figures and get the below error. Any help would be appreciated.

ThanksImage.png

7 REPLIES 7
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ Jawed, This error might be because you chose to keep errors. Try removing errors and then change type of Budget Amount to Decimals

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Thank you @Zubair_Muhammad. I deleted them and then tried it again with no luck. 

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

According to the data type symbol (123) in the column header, you changed the type to Whole Number instead of Fixed Decimal.

Personally I'm not in favour of data type Fixed Decimal (which is the same as currency), because it has 4 decimals.

I would prefer Decimal Number instead, and make sure that any currency amounts are properly rounded.

Type Decimal Number.png

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi @MarcelBeug. I tried that option as well. Somehow it is not picking it. Is having zeros in the cells going to make the difference? When I am on the Query Editor, I can see the numbers but, when I "Close & Apply" and come out of it, the numbers simply disappear. I may be doing something wrong but dont seem to think of anything at this moment.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In general, when you have values in a column that do not comform to the column type, the values will be visible in the Query Editor, but not after loading the data.

Another possibility would be that you need to transform the data type using Locale, e.g. if the text values have decimal points, but your culture has decimal commas.

Thank you. I will have to run some forensic tests to clear out the data. Probably worth to round the numbers in excel to ensure there is nothing hidden. Does it make any difference if the zero appears as (0) or (-)?

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

No, the number format (0 or -) in Excel makes no difference for Power Query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.