Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Convert text to number

What is the proper syntax to convert a text into a number format?

I need to convert some import data(xls) that for some reason is coming accross as text instead of a number.  It is formatted in xls as a currency, but in BI it is a text field.  FieldName("PEPM Revenue"), needed to be a number due to summarizing the field.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple different methods, you can choose number or currency from the Modeling tab in the Data Type section and it will generally convert it just fine. There is also the VALUE function:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634584.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
EMIDH

With most of my tables, changing Data Type under Structure in the Column Tools tab (it appears when selecting a column in Data view) does not work. I then use Power Query which I find under Home, Queries, Transform Data.

EMIDH_0-1652875877061.png

In Power Query, changing Data Type under Transform, Any Column, Data Type typically works better. 

EMIDH_1-1652875974126.png

bashhwu

If the the values of the column took the format of text with currency such as positive values $123,23.05 or negative values ($32,256.09), I would replace the character $ by 0 by right clicking the column and selcting "replace values". 

Then you can now convert the format of resulting column to a fixed decimal number.

newvie
Regular Visitor

do you have a solution now? I need help about that too. I have a column where in it consist of letters and numbers. How can I convert the string to numbers? I need to sum up the numbers. Please help

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple different methods, you can choose number or currency from the Modeling tab in the Data Type section and it will generally convert it just fine. There is also the VALUE function:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634584.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Had the same issue but the problem is it when changing the format from text to numbers it removes any decimel points? so if the number is for instance (2,28) when text, it become's (228) after changing the format to number. Any suggesitons?

Hi,

did you found a solution for this issue? I am having the same problem now.

Thanks

Thanks I found this answer at the same time you posted.

K

exl file uploaded as a text. I try to convert text to number but unsucsessfuly. Could anybody advice why exl converted to text in POWER BI after upload, and how to convert text to value

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Select the column in your data model and change the data type in the ribbon.

percentage.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kcantor What if the column doesn't yet exist.  What if for example, i am building a summary table in dax?  

Summary = SUMMARIZE(PreSummary,PreSummary[Date].[Month],PreSummary[Date].[Year],
"Column_1",calculate(Sum(PreSummary[somecolumn1])),
"Column_2",calculate(sum(PreSummary[somecolumn2])),
"Column_3",calculate(sum(PreSummary[somecolumn3])),
"YRMO",CALCULATE(VALUE(PreSummary[Month])),  <--I want to treat this like a number. 
"OLDTotal",CALCULATE((sum(PreSummary[Total])))))

The back story is that I HOPE to be able to sort columns in a matrix by a number. That number here is the YEAR concatenated with the 2 digit month that way I know it will stay in order.  But I must "Summarize" that table somehow.  Thoughts? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.