Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Convert text or value to date that supports Query Folding?

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert any type of date-looking data into a date that will be supported by query folding for SQL Server?

Prior to the date conversion, I can get the data in just about any format you want that is suported by folding. For example:

• 201701 as a number (converts to Jan 1 2017 but breaks folding)
  • 20170101 as a number
  • 201701 as text
  • 20170101 as text
  • 2017-1 as text
  • 2017-1-1 as text

I could pretty much do whatever necessary, but cannot figure out a way to convert any of those to a date that doesn't break folding.  It looks like the way to do this in native SQL is with the CONVERT() function (and there may be other ways) but am I missing something to get Power Query to do this?

In some of my models I can hold off converting to date very very late in the query process so the performance impact isn't huge, but in other scenarios, I need a date pretty early.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
4 REPLIES 4
DeepEureka
Frequent Visitor

Do you have acces to the source database?

One option could be to create a view in the database that performs the SQL convert operation, and then load on PowerQuery this view, not the original table. This should preserve the query folding.

I agree it is very strange that date conversions prevent the query folding to happen.

Regards,

David

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@edhans,

You may try using function Date.From.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No. Date.From() breaks folding as far as my tests have gone.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

The weird thing is after I have text in a date looking format, as in the OP, if I just add ", type date" to that line, PQ shows it as a date in the header, folding is not broken, but it isn't a date in the contents column. Still text, it just shifted to left justification. Seems like a bug. It should either cause an error, convert to a date, or show in the column header it is still text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.