Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

perishkabb

Convert shortened month to MM and add Fiscal Year

I have a column with shortened months (Oct, Nov, Dec etc) but need to add another column with Year where only Oct, Nov, Dec are 2020 and all other months are 2021.

Then I need to add both and show as MM/YYYY or 01/MM/YYYY so I can have type as date for timeline dashboard

I'm new to Power BI so a little detail would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

See this @perishkabb . I keyed in Oct-Jan and got this table from it:

edhans_0-1612312159893.png

The first formula is:

if List.Contains({"Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}, [Month]) then 2020 else 2021

The second formula is:

Date.FromText([Month] & " " & Text.From([Year]))

From there you can format your date however you like. Power BI has custom date formats like Excel does. Here is the full M code as an example:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k8uUYrViVbyyy8D0y6pyWDaKzFPKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Year", each if List.Contains({"Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}, [Month]) then 2020 else 2021),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each Date.FromText([Month] & " " & Text.From([Year])))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Note that the best practice here is to not use the date column I've given above, but to use a date table that is has a 1:many relationship with that date field, then use your Date Table to do your report dimensions. You can get/create date tables from many places, but I have an article here on how to do it in Power Query that will give you about 30 rich date fields for a variety of uses.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Excellent @perishkabb . Glad I was able to help.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

See this @perishkabb . I keyed in Oct-Jan and got this table from it:

edhans_0-1612312159893.png

The first formula is:

if List.Contains({"Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}, [Month]) then 2020 else 2021

The second formula is:

Date.FromText([Month] & " " & Text.From([Year]))

From there you can format your date however you like. Power BI has custom date formats like Excel does. Here is the full M code as an example:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k8uUYrViVbyyy8D0y6pyWDaKzFPKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Year", each if List.Contains({"Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}, [Month]) then 2020 else 2021),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each Date.FromText([Month] & " " & Text.From([Year])))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Note that the best practice here is to not use the date column I've given above, but to use a date table that is has a 1:many relationship with that date field, then use your Date Table to do your report dimensions. You can get/create date tables from many places, but I have an article here on how to do it in Power Query that will give you about 30 rich date fields for a variety of uses.

It worked! Thank you so much!! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.