Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YaleSOM
Frequent Visitor

Convert isoYearIsoWeek (YYYYWW) into a date

I'm looking to convert isoYearIsoWeek into a readable date format in PowerBI. When I try to change the data type from text to date, I get an error.

Can anyone provide some help on how to convert the isoYearIsoWeek date format into a year and week? Basically, there are two values - the first is the year followed by the week number (YYYYWW)

Here is what I have:

isoYearIsoWeek

Thank you,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

As a week has 7 days - and all ISO weeks have 7 days, also the weeks around New Year - the following query will take you step by step to the start and the end of the week.

This approach is based on the fact that January 4th is always in ISO week number 1.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"isoYearIsoWeek", Int64.Type}}),
    AddedJan_4th = Table.AddColumn(Typed, "Jan_4th", each #date(Number.IntegerDivide([isoYearIsoWeek],100),1,4), type date),
    AddedWeekday_Jan_4th = Table.AddColumn(AddedJan_4th, "Weekday_Jan_4th", each Date.DayOfWeek([Jan_4th],Day.Monday)),
    AddedStartOfWeek1 = Table.AddColumn(AddedWeekday_Jan_4th, "StartOfWeek1", each Date.AddDays([Jan_4th],-[Weekday_Jan_4th]), type date),
    AddedStartOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfWeek1, "StartOfISOWeek", each Date.AddWeeks([StartOfWeek1],Number.Mod([isoYearIsoWeek],100)-1), type date),
    AddedEndOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfISOWeek, "EndOfWeek", each Date.AddDays([StartOfISOWeek],6), type date),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedEndOfISOWeek,{"Jan_4th", "StartOfWeek1", "Weekday_Jan_4th"})
in
    RemovedColumns
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am am looking to convert the following WWYY format to a date. I stumbled upon this post and tried to utilize to code provided. But I am having trouble with the modification:

AddedJan_4th = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns2", "Jan_4th", each #date(Number.IntegerDivide([WeekYear],100),1,4), type date),
AddedWeekday_Jan_4th = Table.AddColumn(AddedJan_4th, "Weekday_Jan_4th", each Date.DayOfWeek([Jan_4th],Day.Monday)),
AddedStartOfWeek1 = Table.AddColumn(AddedWeekday_Jan_4th, "StartOfWeek1", each Date.AddDays([Jan_4th],-[Weekday_Jan_4th]), type date),
AddedStartOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfWeek1, "StartOfISOWeek", each Date.AddWeeks([StartOfWeek1],Number.Mod([WeakYear],100)-1), type date),
AddedEndOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfISOWeek, "EndOfWeek", each Date.AddDays([StartOfISOWeek],4), type date)
in
AddedEndOfISOWeek

I realized that the mod calclation drops the year value that I need when dividing by 100. Can you help with the modifcation of the code above? or with a different solution. Thanks in advance!

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

As a week has 7 days - and all ISO weeks have 7 days, also the weeks around New Year - the following query will take you step by step to the start and the end of the week.

This approach is based on the fact that January 4th is always in ISO week number 1.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"isoYearIsoWeek", Int64.Type}}),
    AddedJan_4th = Table.AddColumn(Typed, "Jan_4th", each #date(Number.IntegerDivide([isoYearIsoWeek],100),1,4), type date),
    AddedStartOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfWeek1, "StartOfISOWeek", each Date.AddWeeks([StartOfWeek1],Number.Mod([isoYearIsoWeek],100)-1), type date),
    AddedEndOfISOWeek = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfISOWeek, "EndOfWeek", each Date.AddDays([StartOfISOWeek],6), type date),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedEndOfISOWeek,{"Jan_4th", "StartOfWeek1", "Weekday_Jan_4th"})
in
    RemovedColumns
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.