Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pmorg73
Post Patron
Post Patron

Convert hour format data to decimal

Hi

I have seen advice on going the other way. But I have a large data set that exports the data in hours (Example below). I intend to sum this time so need to convert to decimal. In Excel this is simply done by *24. Any suggestions please?

I have up to now fixed this in excel then imported that file. But it would be nice to just have csv export and refresh for future versions.

Capture.JPGCapture 2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Pmorg73 

I see that the format for time taken as a long date and hence the formula gives different value.

Going through your file, assuming the time is shown in longdate format then I tweeked the formula

Time*24 = 'Table1'[[Time]] Time]*24 - 24

By doing so I got the result the same as Time*24 done in excel and ported
over.

Cheers

CheenuSing
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Pmorg73 

Can you please load sampledata , output expected  to Google / One Drive and share the link here.

Cheers

CheenuSing 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Excel sheet here with basic data. I thinned it down to two elements, with mutliple entries. I have made it anonimous so it should be good to go. My actaul data is several thousand entries from 2013 to now.

https://batchelarmcdougall-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/phil_bmconsult_co_nz/Ee_FqH7f1zlDmU1FlN8...

Our database spits out the time column as hours. Then in Power BI it makes it a long date format (orignal image). In excel I would add a column and simply =Time *24 and get the decimal version. This is what I need to do in Power BI

I have seen people discussing going the other way around on here (ie decimal to time format)

Hi @Pmorg73 

Have you tried createing a calculated column

DecimalHours = Table[Time] * 24

replace Table by your tablename

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Yeah i tried that before I posted the query on here, but it does not work correctly. The formatting of the data is the issue I think. That converts it in to completely wrong answers. (see image)

I have uploaded a BI file with just the data inserted. I did add a column in the excel sheet before I brought it in of the Excel *24 answers that we would need to achieve. I then added a column and did the calc as suggested. See the image the numbers are not correct. I assume it is related to the format of the time entry when I bring it from excel to Power BI, as it is showing as a long date format, but in excel it is an hours format. (blue arrow in image)

Capture.JPG

link to BI file

https://batchelarmcdougall-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/phil_bmconsult_co_nz/EZPLVTavypxPhdui_Cj...

Link to excel data

https://batchelarmcdougall-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/phil_bmconsult_co_nz/Ee_FqH7f1zlDmU1FlN8...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi @Pmorg73 

I see that the format for time taken as a long date and hence the formula gives different value.

Going through your file, assuming the time is shown in longdate format then I tweeked the formula

By doing so I got the result the same as Time*24 done in excel and ported
over.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Does seem to work. Thanks for that. So I understand it what does the -24 do? 

Hi @Pmorg73 ,

I was checking the values without '-24' . Everything was more by 24.  So I decided to substract 24 and check. It worked.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.