Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert Text to Date in Direct Query mode

Hi, I'm using DirectQuery mode for my report. I have date fields which are of the data type Text.

I tried converting it into Date by changing the Data Type from Text to Date. It says "This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode." I get the same error when I try to add a custom column (Month = Date.FromText([DateField])).

How do I get the month number, month name, and year from the text field? How do I convert the text field into a date field in DirectQuery mode? The existing solutions do not seem to work in DirectQuery mode.

Please help! Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

While connecting to direct query mode you can use native query editor to transform your columns.

CONVERT(datetime, YourDatecolumn)

Capture.JPG

Don't forgrt to hit THUMBS UP and Accept this as a solution if it helps you!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

While connecting to direct query mode you can use native query editor to transform your columns.

CONVERT(datetime, YourDatecolumn)

Capture.JPG

Don't forgrt to hit THUMBS UP and Accept this as a solution if it helps you!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24Thank you!

For others having the same issue,

Use the following SQL command while getting data for your report:

SELECT CONVERT(date, [DateSubmitted]) as [DateSubmitted]
,DATEPART("MONTH", [DateSubmitted]) as [Month]
,DATEPART("YEAR", [DateSubmitted]) as [Year]
,(DATEPART("WEEK", [DateSubmitted]) as [Week]
,'Q' + CAST(DATEPART("QUARTER", [DateSubmitted]) as varchar) as [Quarter]
FROM..

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.