Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cante
Regular Visitor

Convert Powerview to Power BI

Good day!

We have existing excel powerview reports with drilldowns, is it possible to convert them to power bi?

Or is there a way to export powerview reports to power bi?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@cante You can easily convert your Excel workbook artifacts (models, reports) by downloading the latest update of Power BI Desktop tool here. Find the image given below to import your Excel data into Power BI

Import_Excel.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cante
Regular Visitor

@konstantinos I understand now what you mean, there are actually two types of report canvas - old and new.

Uploading them to the app.powerbi lets you choose between the old and new. Whatever we have implemented in our existing powerviews can be rendered in both. However, in the 'new' type not all graphs are supported yet including drilldowns.

Meanwhile, importing via the powerbi desktop only renders the powerview to a 'new' one.

I think @Gregs138's answer is the most correct one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I do not get imported my power view visualizations into powe BI. Powerview tabs are created in power BI but no the charts within my power view tabs. 

Any idea on what is it happening?

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@cante You can easily convert your Excel workbook artifacts (models, reports) by downloading the latest update of Power BI Desktop tool here. Find the image given below to import your Excel data into Power BI

Import_Excel.png

Thank you very much @ashishrj

I just tried it and that is what we exactly need.

For further readings by others @Gregs138 solution keeps the drill down feature in PowerVIew by using the old report canvas in browser ( visuals rendering engine ) while @ashishrj converts them to the new visual engine ( new report canvas )..

At least until this functionallity added in PBI Desktop the only way to keep drill down is @Gregs138 solution..

Konstantinos Ioannou
Gregs138
Helper I
Helper I

Powerview reports will render in Power BI.  Simply go to connect to data> Local files> and then just upload the powerview/Excel file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors