Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Convert Import to Direct Query

hi All,

I have developed my data model by importing tables in power bi desktop, now I want to convert it to direct query so that I can publish to service as I don't want to load the data in cloud.

Is it feasible ?

What do you suggest if we have a huge volume of data in the tables, should I use import or direct query ?

Regards,

Akash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@akj2784,

As mentioned here, while it's generally possible to switch a model from DirectQuery mode to use import mode, this means all the necessary data must be imported. It is also not possible to switch back (primarily due to the set of features not supported in DirectQuery mode). You may also take a look at this idea.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TheMindGymnast
Frequent Visitor

The method provided by Daniiel Maslyuk, https://xxlbi.com/blog/switching-from-imported-data-to-directquery-or-live-connection-in-power-bi/ Is definately the best option in my opinion. It relies on the data model being identical but the use case is normally this. 1. You have created a report in desktop, imported all the datasets, added measures, schema etc and published to the service. 2. You have started building additional reports in direct query using this same dataset 3. You now want to decouple the reports from the dataset or you wish to split an unweildy report with lots of pages into sdperate reports. In this case, there will be no differences betwen the imported dataset and the one in the service. As long as you delete all the queries in your report, save and reopen you willl be able to chose Power BI as the data source. Remember though that its not just M queries but any DAX table (e.g. dates tables, summarized) that need to be removed.
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@akj2784,

As mentioned here, while it's generally possible to switch a model from DirectQuery mode to use import mode, this means all the necessary data must be imported. It is also not possible to switch back (primarily due to the set of features not supported in DirectQuery mode). You may also take a look at this idea.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.