Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AW31
Helper I
Helper I

Convert Date Column from UTC to Central Time

I am trying to add a date column in Power Query that takes the current date column coming in from DirectQuery (comes in on UTC time) and changes it to Central Time (-5 hours from UTC). I searched similar thread but did not produce the result I was looking for. I either need to convert the Post Time column to a new time zone in a new column, or produce a column with a time that is 5 hours behind the Post Time column. And it has to be produced from a DirectQuery, as I've tried other methods that have produced a number but requires my data to be imported. Thanks!

Post Time.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @AW31 

For your case, I would suggest you create a new calculated column in power bi by DAX as below:

Central Time = 'Table'[Post Time]- TIME(5,0,0)
Regards,
Lin
Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @AW31 

For your case, I would suggest you create a new calculated column in power bi by DAX as below:

Central Time = 'Table'[Post Time]- TIME(5,0,0)
Regards,
Lin
Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can do this in Power BI as a field, but can it be done in Power Query? Basically I'd like to have it as a column there so that it can be used as a slicer with less loading time. As only a created column in the fields section, it is taking longer to populate every row of data because of the calcuation.

This worked 🙂 Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.