cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Rich
New Member

Control formatting of numbers on guages

I have a curious issue with the number formatting on a guage.

 

With only the value and Max value fields everything is normal:

Guage-normal.PNG

 

when I drop a target value in the fomatting of the min and max value fields drop out:

 

Guage-strange.PNG

 

note the change from 2.3bn to 2,300,000,000 in the bottom right, and the change in the bottom left

 

Any ideas how to fix this?

 

All data types are formatted to decimal number with 0 decimal places and a thousands seperator

 

Cheers

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Harris

 

I sent this as a frown to Microsoft and we had a go at it.

 

Some of the issue seems to be importing the model from a power pivot workbook. While the measures were in the same format (which fed the min max, actual target fields in the gauge) the underlying columns in the imported tables were not and could not be changed for some reason or other (got an "object not found" error message when trying).

 

Long story short, I rebuilt the model in BI and no issues now.

 

Appreciate you lending your mind to the issue, cheers!

 

Rich

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Try to change the decimal places from 0 to 2 and see the effect on chart.

 

Format: Decimal Number

Decimal Places = 2

 

Regards

 

Harris

Hi Harris

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

I tried your solution but it had no effect on the visual:

 

Guage-2 dec places.PNG

 

Interestingly the visual shows 2 decimal places regardless of how it is formatted. Here is the formatting set to whole number:

 

Guage-wholenumber.PNG

 

Any other ideas gratefully received!

 

Cheers

Rich

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Are all the values i.e. Min,Max, Actuals and target are in same format?

Can you show the screen shot of the data view?

Regards

 

Harris

Hi Harris

 

I sent this as a frown to Microsoft and we had a go at it.

 

Some of the issue seems to be importing the model from a power pivot workbook. While the measures were in the same format (which fed the min max, actual target fields in the gauge) the underlying columns in the imported tables were not and could not be changed for some reason or other (got an "object not found" error message when trying).

 

Long story short, I rebuilt the model in BI and no issues now.

 

Appreciate you lending your mind to the issue, cheers!

 

Rich

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors