Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Control Row Level Security Using Excel spreadsheet

Hello,

I have created a PBI Report. Now I am exploring options to do RLS. Normal method does work and i have asked users to test. Now moving forward we want to control the RLS using Excel sheet. Now our RLS is based off on geography or country specific. So we have created different roles for countries and we go add users manually in Service. But we want to do this dynamically like the excel should dictate that. If a person name X belongs to US today and excel reflects the same, he should view only US data (At present we need to add his email manually in service). Tomorrow if X moves to Canada we want to update that spreadsheet and the user should view only cannada data. 

I have read some blogs about dynamic RLS. But what i am looking for is controlling RLS using excel sheet. Let me know if this is possible. If possible how?

Thanks,
Karthik

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You may refer to this blog:

https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-in-power-bi-with-organizational-hierarchy-and-multiple-positions-in-many-to-many-relationship-part-1

For your case, you could define the role dim table in excel and then import it into power bi report and set refresh for it.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I created a excel which will control the RLS with Person name, Email and GEO and Product. That table is called as User_Access in the diagram. Now when i import the model I created a relationship between User_Access and Geo_Hierarchy tables connecting Geo. DRLS.png

Next step i went to manage roles and created a role called accessa and declared [User] = USERPRINCIPALNAME(). 

Next i published the same to Service and shared the report with a user. When user viewed the report he is getting below error

User Error.PNG

Can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I checked many forums but nothing helped. If someone can shed some light on where I am going wrong will be helpful.

Note: I did not go to dataset for the report and make any changes. Not sure if that is a step I am missing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone found a way of linking the excel to the dataset access step? Surely there is a way that the excel list can automatically add the users to dataset security?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Karthik,

Did you check the bidirectional is active in the relationship level ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know how to control RLS with Excel?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.