Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tasos
Helper II
Helper II

Continuous x-axis issue

Hello,

I am trying to change the categorical type X-Axis into a continuous one but with no success.

I have created a Pareto Chart with the cumulative quantity per product, however, I cannot change the X-axis so it can fit all the products without scrolling.

Capture.JPG

Any Ideas on that?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Check the datatype of your X-axis variable.  Only numbers and dates can be continuous.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. My x-axis are numeric, but I still could not convert Categorical to Continuous . Please advise 

Thanks for the reply. However, it doesn't really help me on how to solve it. 

The product name is a combination of numbers and letters and therefore I cannot change the datatype into a number. 

Still, thanks for the info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tasos,

Could you please share your pbix file or sample data?

Best Regards,

Ravi

Hello @Anonymous,

I hope that this link will help you.

Thank for your time!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tasos,

Thanks for Sharing the Pbix File.

I have a concern that if you have data like combination of number and some text like (412079-NEW) then how you actually want in your visual. 

As @dedelman_clng discussed that it is only valid for Number and Date type data because they can be grouped. like

if i have data 1 to 10 then in categorical ways i can show 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and in continous way like 1....5...10.

So if you have text then i have to group or set ranges for your data then might be possiblity to do that. So Again Could you please look into this and clarify my concern. Smiley Happy.

Because i dont have any idea about your actual data and what exact output you want.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Hello @Anonymous,

What I really need is a percentage as an X-Axis instead of the actual value (see example https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaj04exg04yu2bm/pareto%20example.xlsx?dl=0).

Capture.JPG

I can create a column having this value, however, by doing that I will lose the option of creating a dynamic output when slicers are applied. What could work though is to create a measure instead. However, as we cannot have measures as X-Axis, I assume that what I want is not feasible (at least at the moment).

I hope that what I am looking for is clearer now.

Thanks for your time!!

Tasos

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tasos,

I have gone through your file. I understand data and i think it is possible to implement column will be dynamic also. I have implented by taking your sample data of columns (i.e: Product,Rank and Sales). If you have rank column then it is very easy to do.

I am attaching pbix file of my solution.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X34vLe5rzn5vSPNH21-nzKTncFMH6Kox/view?usp=sharing

Hoping that i understood your requirement. Smiley Happy

Regrads,

Ravi

Hi @Anonymous,

You have clearly understood my requirement and I appreciate your effort. 

However, there is an issue with your solution. The ranking is predefined and static. This means that if I apply filters (e.g. time period/country of sales/different type of products, e.t.c) the ranking will not be the same as the "total" one. 

If you can solve this, then you have fully solved my problem.

Thanks,

Tasos

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

On what logic you are gnerating that i cant understand clearly thtas why i gav you 3 links. Whatever your need you will find in these links.

I will suggest go with 3rd link first.

Hello @Anonymous,

Thanks for your time and the links. I do appreciate your help.

However, it still doesn't give an answer to my problem (I guess I wasn't clear).  Please, see below,

The "total ranking" is a column based on total sales. The "ranking" is a measure.

As you can see, when no filters are applied, the two values are the same (as they should)

total.JPG

However, when filters are applied, then the "total ranking" is no longer accurate.

filtered.JPG

I am attaching again the PBI file, just in case you still have time to have a look

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31wfabuo26ropa5/pareto%20example.pbix?dl=0

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tasos,

I have modified pbix file with calculation of dynamic rank. Please have a look and if any concern kindly revert.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13UnmuimhsKFiyjJ9FEZvbcBbqwyLxNQA/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards,

Ravi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors