Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Continuous X-axis with monthly labels, daily data categorised by year (legend)

Hi,

Attaching PBIX

I'd like to display a line chart with side by side comparison of daily quantities for each year, with monthly x-axis labels. 

I have a simple table [Date, Quantity] with daily values for several years.

Table = CALENDAR(DATE(2019, 1,1), DATE(2021,12,31))
Quantity = ([Date].[Year] - 2010) * 20 + [Date].[MonthNo] + [Date].[Day]

image.png

Chart-1

Quantity - Values

Months (Date Hierarchy) - Axis

Years - Legend

image.png

In in the chart above, the values are summed up to each month, wheresea instead I'd like to see the Daily values. 

I can display daily values by switching the Axis to Date (rather than Date Hierarchy), but then I'm unable to display Years side by side, instead the whole chart is continuous (and x-axis granularity is not necessary monthly, depends on available size):

Chart-2

Quantity - Values

Date  - Axis

Years - Legend

image.png

What I would like is the daily values (Y) from Chart-2 in the format (monthly, by year) of Chart-1 (X)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since none of the ideas reflected what I need, I've posted my own Idea Suggestion:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40069978-allow-more-granular-x-ax...

Please support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since none of the ideas reflected what I need, I've posted my own Idea Suggestion:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40069978-allow-more-granular-x-ax...

Please support

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Unfortunately,we can't use the month and year as the axis, but corresponds to the daily value.

What we can do is to drill down to get the daily value.

month_day.PNG

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

thank you for your response. Could work in some cases, but I know for a fact that for our users this won't be accetable.

Especially since this is an exercise to see if we can migrate from Tableau (which can do this) to Power Bi. 

Is there a user voice request to have this implemented? (I'm asking because I don't even know how to phraze this 'feature request' correctly) 

Regards,

Stefan

Hi @Anonymous ,

For voice request, please refer to this article to see if it can meet your needs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/mobile/mobile-apps-ios-qna 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry I meant Power Bi Ideas, I thought it's called "user voice requests"

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Any idea what would be a good name for the feature in this thread?

Kind Regards,

Stefan

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry, I misunderstood you before. You can vote for this idea or share your own idea.

Best Regards,
Liang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.