Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stephanderton2
Frequent Visitor

Context menus in Field pane stopped showing aggregation options

Strange thing happened after I added the date picker according to Patrick's video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXi8sMmOOTU. When I got back to the report all the context menus in the Fields pane stopped showing the options associated with all the data types. So now I can't even do Counts on categories or display Earliest on dates. And this happened after I did this date picker, on 2 separate files. Anyone else see this before?

Here's what I've got now:

After adding the date picker in Tabular Editor, the context menu doesn't show the optionsAfter adding the date picker in Tabular Editor, the context menu doesn't show the options

and this is an old version of my report with all the aggregate options:

Older version of the same file, before I used Tabular EditorOlder version of the same file, before I used Tabular Editor

And then the Fields pane doesn't show the data type (sigma symbol) for the number type columns:

Several of these fields should have the sigma icon as they're number values (after Tabular Editor)Several of these fields should have the sigma icon as they're number values (after Tabular Editor)

But the data model does show them:

The data model shows the data typesThe data model shows the data types

The properties for the column in the Column Tools view does show the right information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @stephanderton2 

When you have at least one Calculation Group, implicit measures are effectively disabled in Power BI Desktop.

(some reference to it on this page).

"Implicit measures" are the measures created when you select the aggregation from the menu as per your screenshot.

All this means is that you have to explicitly write your measures in DAX, rather than dragging in the field and choosing an aggregation option.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @stephanderton2 

When you have at least one Calculation Group, implicit measures are effectively disabled in Power BI Desktop.

(some reference to it on this page).

"Implicit measures" are the measures created when you select the aggregation from the menu as per your screenshot.

All this means is that you have to explicitly write your measures in DAX, rather than dragging in the field and choosing an aggregation option.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was a great answer!  I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what happened to my normal context menu and finally stumbled on to the original poster's issue.  I just used a calculation group for the first time this weekend.  I don't really need it and would like to get my report to act as it originally did.  I deleted the calculation group but no change.  Are you stuck with the behavior?  Thanks 

Hi @Anonymous 

You can restore the ability to create implicit measures in Power BI Desktop by switching the "Discourage Implict Measures" option back to False in Tabular Editor.

When your model contains at least one calculation group, this option is automatically set to True and can't be changed. After you remove all calculation groups, it remains True unless you switch it back to False.

You can find this setting under Model > Options in Tabular Editor.

When I tested it myself, after changing it back to True and saving changes, I still had to perform a few actions in Power BI Desktop (e.g. move fields around or refresh a table) to force it to realise implicit measures were available again and show the implicit measure menu.

OwenAuger_0-1626175595065.png

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks Owen! The link was very helpful in explaining this feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.