Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

actzikas
Frequent Visitor

Contains Operator in a Measure

Is there a way you can use a contains like operator in a measure? 

What I am trying to do here is filter all activity types that CONTAINS "Call" 

Number of Calls = CALCULATE(Count('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type]), FILTER('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)', 'Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type] CONTAINS "Call" ))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @actzikas

First you need to create a calculated column to check whether the selected line has the value you need:

Column = CONTAINSSTRING('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type],"Call")

Then you can calculate the numbers of calls using a measure:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)),'Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Column]=True())

Finally it will show similarly to my sample data as below:

1121.png1122.png

Best Regards,

Kelly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@actzikas 

Create 2 fields to accomplish your requirement:

Calculated Column = SEARCH("Call",'Renewal Activity'[Activity Type],1,0)

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT('Renewal Activity'[Offsite Data]),[Calcualted Column],'Renewal Activity'[Activity Type])

I have created sample for

Capture.JPG

Please don't forget to hit THUMBS UP and Accept this as a solution if it helps you!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @actzikas

First you need to create a calculated column to check whether the selected line has the value you need:

Column = CONTAINSSTRING('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type],"Call")

Then you can calculate the numbers of calls using a measure:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)),'Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Column]=True())

Finally it will show similarly to my sample data as below:

1121.png1122.png

Best Regards,

Kelly

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

You can use contains dax function and syntax is given below:
CONTAINS(<table>, <columnName>, <value>[, <columnName>, <value>]…)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/contains-function-dax

Don't forget to give thumbs up 👍and accept this as a solution if this helps you.
Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Yes, I saw that article but how would you use it in the above example I created?

I tried 

Number of Calls = CALCULATE(Count('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type]), Contains('Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)', 'Renewal Activity (Offsite Data)'[Activity Type] = "Call" ))

And that didn't work @Tahreem24 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.