Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rusgesig
Helper IV
Helper IV

Constant Freezing since 2021

The Desktop app is constantly freezing since 2021.

Is this a version issue? I don't know what's happening anymore since the MS app store version and download version both are able to install along side each other.

I mention this because of the icon change.

Is this a known issue? Should I revert to previous version?

rusgesig_1-1612431022523.png

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been having the same issue this year.  It started with the use of Microsoft Edge WebView2.  I have also noticed that you can not longer kill just one Power BI report from the task manager, if you have a couple open on your desktop.  

rusgesig
Helper IV
Helper IV

Still freezing daily -_- This is killing me dead.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rusgesig ,

Not think it is a version issue, more like that the calculation in the report is complex or the report is too large to load. Open too many reports may also freeze.

Please refer these documents about optimizing models in power bi:

1. Optimize a model for performance in Power BI  
  2. Optimization guide for Power BI 
  3. Power BI Performance Optimization Tips 

If you think it is a version issue, you can consider the minimum requirements of power bi desktop:

• Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, or later
  • .NET 4.6.2
  • Internet Explorer 10 or later
  • Memory (RAM): At least 1 GB available, 1.5 GB or more recommended.
  • Display: At least 1440x900 or 1600x900 (16:9) required. Lower resolutions such as 1024x768 or 1280x800 aren't supported, as certain controls (such as closing the startup screen) display beyond those resolutions.
  • Windows display settings: If you set your display settings to change the size of text, apps, and other items to more than 100%, you may not be able to see certain dialogs that you must interact with to continue using Power BI Desktop. If you encounter this issue, check your display settings in Windows by going to Settings > System > Display, and use the slider to return display settings to 100%.
  • CPU: 1 gigahertz (GHz) 64-bit (x64) processor recommended.

In addtion, you can get previous version of power bi desktop from here: Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop 

More earlier versions: Power BI previous versions 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

rusgesig
Helper IV
Helper IV

uninstalled everything and installed from microsoft store, still on Version: 2.88.1385.0 64-bit (December 2020)

rusgesig
Helper IV
Helper IV

Downloading from the microsoft store also installs Dec version.

rusgesig_0-1612436528721.png

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@rusgesig ,

First uninstall your availble PBI Desktop from Control Panel. Then Download the latest version from MS site via below link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Hi, the link you provided also installs the December version.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rusgesig , check the version in the file -> About. It is Jan -2021 or Feb 2021, then log an https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

All of the links provided download the December version. Where is this mythical January/February version you all keep speaking of?

I am still crashing randomly, and it's not due to resources.

rusgesig_0-1612960965177.png

rusgesig_0-1612434349868.png

Thanks, seems I'm using the Dec version - would you recommend downloading online or from the MS app store? The update notification that used to pop up bottom right is not there anymore.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.