Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ravinsha
Regular Visitor

Consolidated report using Local dataset and Online PBI dataset

Hello Community Members,

This is my first post, so kindly excuse any deviations from the standard rules of posting.

I plan to do a recon of the costs coming from 2 sources. First source is a excel which i receive over mail, which i saved to my drive and created a PBI Report with different visuals. Second source is an Online connection to PowerBI dataset (no Excel available) - for which also i have created a PBI.

From what i understand, it is not possible to add another dataset if we already have a online dataset (error : "The connect live option for this file is disabled"). Now my intention is to create a single report where we have 2 columns (one from each source/report) to show the costs against a category, something like this. Is it possible to achieve this somehow ? 

Column 1 || Column 2                          || Column 3

Country    || Costs from Local Dataset || Costs from Online Data set

Looking forward to your suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ravinsha , In Dec 2020, there was a preview feature for live + othesr. See if that can work in this case. I have not tested that

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-december-2020-feature-summary/#_Toc58831296

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ravinsha
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak Thanks, Upgrading the PBI desktop and enabling that preview feature makes it possible to integrate local dataset along with Online PBI dataset.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ravinsha , In Dec 2020, there was a preview feature for live + othesr. See if that can work in this case. I have not tested that

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-december-2020-feature-summary/#_Toc58831296

Hi Amit,
In continuation to this same thread (using one online Dataset and one Local dataset - in same report), i have a query. I could build the report in PBI Desktop and all visuals/filters work/look fine in desktop.
Problem is when the report is published - the visuals (from online dataset) aren’t displayed. Message displayed is "This data source File is missing credentials. Add the data source credentials by using the data settings page". However, the “Data source credentials” option is greyed out (unable to edit). I have logged into my online dataset account from Power BI Desktop.
At the same time, all the visuals from local dataset are unaffected and displaying fine in Published report. Can you pls suggest if I am missing something ?pic.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.