Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WillBeeSEA
Helper I
Helper I

Consequences of not upgrading the Desktop app or reports?

My company does not want to upgrade the Desktop app very often. Aside from not taking advantage of the new features of Power BI, are there consequences to doing this?  For example, will publishing reports up to the Service using an older version of the desktop app cause problems?

Along the same lines, sometimes when I open report files I get a message that the repor file itself needs to be updated.  What happens if I do not do that?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lance_6
Helper II
Helper II

As far as I am aware, you just won't have the new features. You should still be able to publish reports like normal. The popup when you open files should be okay to ignore. 

As a side note, if you have Power BI Desktop installed from the Microsoft App Store, it will auto update. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lance_6
Helper II
Helper II

As far as I am aware, you just won't have the new features. You should still be able to publish reports like normal. The popup when you open files should be okay to ignore. 

As a side note, if you have Power BI Desktop installed from the Microsoft App Store, it will auto update. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.