Occasional Visitor

Re: Connector Postgre SQL DATABASE

[ Edited ]

I am having a hard time creating a New Data Source to SQL Server? any tips there?

Whether I try connecting with Windows NT or with SQL server authentication I get the following error message:

---------------------------
Microsoft SQL Server Login
Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

OK

Thanks

Established Member

I'd recommend starting new thread. Rather than tacking onto someone else's question, which isn't direcly related to your issue.

At any rate, you should give more info.

Specify what SQL Server (MS SQL version, is it Express?) you are trying to connect to.

If you are using alias for the connection? Try using IP address suffixed by port# to test.

Are you able to connect to it using SQL Management Studio remotely? etc etc.

Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

This popup happens to me even after I installed Npgsql-4.0.0.msi. The solution link didn't show how to get past the popup?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

This popup happens to me even after I installed Npgsql-4.0.0.msi. The solution link didn't show how to get past the popup?

Frequent Visitor

Personally, I wouldnt use the PostGRE SQL connector. I would create a custom ODBC connection using the typical connection protocols for PostGRE SQL, and then simply use the ODBC connection method within PowerBI to connect to your data source. This bypasses the PostGRE SQL errors. 

Frequent Visitor

Actually, after installing Npgsql 4.0.0 and restart the power BI desktop, I can get the Postgres DB login screen to pop up, but when trying to connect, I get the following error:

powerbi-postgres-connection-error.png

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this information, work for me!! in addition i want to do a question, i try this connection with a encrypted password and power bi said that the authentication failed, but if i try with decrypted password its work. Have u any idea, why this ?

Regular Visitor

I am experiencing a similar problem with connecting to Postgres, Error "This connector requires one or more additional components to be installed before it can be used" appears while trying to setup a connection to Postgres. Error continues even after installing the Npgsql-4.0.3.. I am still able to connect using ODBC but i do not prefer to use the ODBC.

Any one managed to make this working ? 

Frequent Visitor

Hi, am still using the odbc conectar, i was talking with PowerBi support but they cant gave me any solution. Is not the best with odbc  but for now i think is the one.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your response, Sad to know that MS was not able to offer you the solution.