Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dishathakuria

Connectivity to SSAS

When I connect to SSAS, I am able to import Dimensions and Measure Groups, but not the relationships. How does that work? My reports are not showing data because of the missing relationship.

8 REPLIES 8
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dishathakuria,

If we connect to SSAS in import mode, imported datasets are based on the checked measures and dimensions. Those measures and dimensions will be treated as "field" in a dataset. Relationships built on SSAS side will not be imported. In your scenario, I would suggest you connect to SSAS in a live mode.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can Select the automatic detection of the relationship option.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Go to Manage Relationships and select Autodetect option.

Hope this would help to generate your report.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

@BhaveshPatel Hi Bhavesh,

For auto detection of relationships, i need to have the fact tables imported too. The relationship between dimensions and measure groups is always through fact tables (fact tables have the keys, measure groups dont). But in this case i am not able to import any data from the fact tables. When i try to import data from a cube, it gives me an option to omly import dimensions and/or measures.

@Greg_DecklerHi Smoupre,

I can very well create the relationships in the relationships window, but i need the fact tables to be imported for the same. In this case i am not able to import any data from the fact tables. When i try to import data from a cube, it gives me an option to omly import dimensions and/or measures.

Hi @dishathakuria,

Have you read my original reply? In your scenario, I would suggest you use live connection instead of import mode. Please check this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimensional/.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

Ys, i got your reply. I am unable to try that one yet, because the version of SQL Server that i am currently using (SQL Server 2012) is not supporting live connections to SSAS. 

I will try the solution suggested by you as soon as i am able to install the suggested version - SQL Server 2012 SP1. I should be able to confirm on this in a few days.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Disha Thakuria

dishathakuria

When I connect to SSAS, I am able to import the Dimensions and the Measure Groups, but not the relationships between them.

How does it work? I am not able to see any data in my report because of the missing relationships.

Can you go to the relationships tab in the Desktop and drag and drop to create the relationships? It is the third icon on the left (bottom icon)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.