Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection with FY table- need help

hello experts,
Got into a problem. We have custom FY calendar that I connected to one of the dim tables in data model and used ' days' column from FY calendar to 'join date' field from my dim_1 table.
Now, I am getting right FY when i make visual with ' join date' ( like join date March 31, 2017 is FY 2018). But if I pull other date field like ' release date' from same table or from dim_2 table which is joined with dim_1, the FY comes up as per 'join date' ( like for release date march 31, 2018, it still shows FY 2018 as it is pulling same row from join date column and looking into FY calendar based on that). How do I make it dynamic so that whatever date column I put into visual, it shows FY based on that, not based on column that gets connected with FY calendar table.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the FY table is correct that you should not get two FY for the same date, unless you have non-standard months. Can you share some sample of FY Table data?

Typically, I would have merged Date and FY using summarize or would have populated the new column in my date calendar like

Max FY in Cal = maxx(filter(FY CAL,sales[Date] = Date[date] ,FY Cal[FY]))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Did not get it completely. But if you want to use two dates on the same table please refer this example

HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend

If it is not done. Please make sure you integrate you FY calendar with date table.

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s.

Refer
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,
I know I could not explain it nicely.
Lets see if the below can explain little more.
Now showing
Table 1
Join date. FY.
03012017. 2018.
Table 2
Release date. FY
03012018. 2018

I would like to have below
Table 1
Join date. FY
03012017 2018
Table 2
Release date. FY
03012018. 2019

I have a number of date columns like release date in different dim tables.
Thanks for any help

I did not get it completely.

But you have left, right, mid string split functions. Also, replace and search for any other use. Hope with help of these you can get desired format of date

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not date format I am talking about. If you see, I am getting wrong FY for 2nd table where I have release date 03012018 and FY2018. FY should be 2019 as the release date is 03012018 and FY starts from Feb. And it is because the FY is referring to the same row from join date column and giving me FY based on join date.
What I need to do differently so that whatever date field user pulls up, they get right FY based on that field.

How is FY calculated in the release table where it wrong. Typically we create a date table and create all required year, FY there and join that with dates of other facts. This way we can ensure that all dates follow the same calendar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again.
I did the same way before as you mentioned following a blog from Reza. But in this project, I have been asked to use a pre made FY table as it has both calendar and fiscal year, month , quarter and also holidays.

Any idea how to make it work?

If the FY table is correct that you should not get two FY for the same date, unless you have non-standard months. Can you share some sample of FY Table data?

Typically, I would have merged Date and FY using summarize or would have populated the new column in my date calendar like

Max FY in Cal = maxx(filter(FY CAL,sales[Date] = Date[date] ,FY Cal[FY]))

Thanks. My Recent Blog -

Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.