Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection to a Dataset

For the last two years I have a process of updating a large PBIX file and publishing it. Then I make changes to a copy, saving it as a different name, then removing the Power Query queries to empty it of data, and finally go to Power BI datasets to connect to the original PBIX, thus getting a variation report which I can then publish to the cloud.

With March 2020 Desktop version I now get this error message when i click on the Power BI datasets icon on the ribbon. There are no query statements in the file.
Datasets.jpgPower Query.jpg

This is a big problem for me. Can anyone advise? Is this just my copy or do other people have the same problem?

My alternate method will be to publish three datasets (there's a second report still to do) but that could be a problem for us in terms of data size, memory, etc.

1 REPLY 1
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you have access to Admin Portal in power bi service, you can try this way:

1. Go Power BI service
  2. Go to the Admin portal
  3. Click Tenant settings on the left side and check the export and sharing settings
  4. Enable the export data feature

admin portal.png

If you have no access, please contact your administrator to try.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.