Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

giroldoale
Helper I
Helper I

Connecting two tables with dates

Hi,

I have some doubts with relationship through dates.

My aim is to have a single table called "Calendar" where I connect all the DataTable with dates, so use only the date into "Calendar" to works with time across the report.

I have 2 cases in the screenshot, both the table "Calendar" and "Calendar 2" have the same data set. 

"Calendar", and so "Calendar 2", is a LUT table having only the function to generate a calendar from 2018 to date. In this sense in these two table there are no repeting dates.

In "Sales" there are dates from Jan/21 to date and for every day the corresponfding value of Qty and Value sold. Every dates is unique except to 08/01/2021 (DD/MM/YYY) that is repeated 2 times.

In "Sales 2" there are dates from Jan/21 to date and for every day the corresponfding value of Qty and Value sold. Every dates is unique.

Recaping the only difference between the two cases in term of data is a single row into Sales that is repeted 1 time.

Now the questions:

1. why in the report once I connect the filed "Data" (Date in Italian) the Hierarchy in the case 1 fo "Sales" is cancelled?
  2. why in the case 2 I cannot chooose the direction of relationship?
  3. why in case two if I drag Data from "Sale Unic" to "Calendar 2" the Hierarchy in Data of "Sales Unic" is cancelled? And if I do the opposite, so drag Data from  "Calendar 2" to "Sale Unic" the Hierarchy in Data of "Calendar 2" is cancelled? Even if the arrow of relationshiop is the same?

giroldoale_0-1616750756461.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @giroldoale ,

For the second question, to my knowledge, the relationship is always from 1 to many.  In the case of 1: 1, it could not identify which is "many".Therefore, 1:1 can only be a one-way direction.

3.31.3.direction.PNG

For the third question,it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.Refer to :Solved: Re: Date hierarchy missing - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @giroldoale ,

For the second question, to my knowledge, the relationship is always from 1 to many.  In the case of 1: 1, it could not identify which is "many".Therefore, 1:1 can only be a one-way direction.

3.31.3.direction.PNG

For the third question,it is intended behaviour, in this case you will use date field from date table to work in your visuals.Refer to :Solved: Re: Date hierarchy missing - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Carmichael
Resolver I
Resolver I

I can answer for  your second question as a start. As per the documentation all 1:1 relationships are bi-directional

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-bidirectional-filtering#special-mod...

I love likes so if this helped click on the thumbs up

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.