Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LanrexTee
Frequent Visitor

Connecting two different tables for display and calculations

Data Sample.PNG

Hi Team,

Pls I'm new and  struggling with connecting two different tables with no common unique key and displaying desired data accurately to evaluate the difference between the demand and Supply column and do further calculations.

Aim is to display the Weekly Total  Product demand and supply by Area and ealuate the difference.....also by City

Sample data above.

I made a separate table with a unique key by combining Product name with Week and City code to create a relationship , I also tried creating another table with Products Names only, I got some results however the result was not ok when I tried filtering by Area or Rig which means the relationship wasn't ok.

Will merging work?, but my data is very big and i dont know much about merging yet.

Thanks

Larry

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LanrexTee,

I'd like to suggest you to add merge column to these tables and create below bridge table('UniqueKey' to 'Unique Key') to link these merge columns:

Column formula:

Unique Key =
[Week] & ","  & [City Code]  & ","  & [Product]

Table formula:

Bridge Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CROSSJOIN (
        CROSSJOIN (
            DISTINCT ( UNION ( VALUES ( Demand[Week] ), VALUES ( Supply[Week] ) ) ),
            DISTINCT (
                UNION ( VALUES ( Demand[City Code] ), VALUES ( Supply[City Code] ) )
            )
        ),
        DISTINCT ( UNION ( VALUES ( Demand[Product] ), VALUES ( Supply[Product] ) ) )
    ),
    "UniqueKey", [Week] & ","
        & [City Code]
        & ","
        & [Product]
)

After these steps, you can use bridge table columns to create visual row and column fields, then use value columns from demand and supply tables as value field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @LanrexTee,

I'd like to suggest you to add merge column to these tables and create below bridge table('UniqueKey' to 'Unique Key') to link these merge columns:

Column formula:

Unique Key =

Table formula:

Bridge Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CROSSJOIN (
        CROSSJOIN (
            DISTINCT (
            )
        ),
    ),
        & [City Code]
        & ","
        & [Product]
)

After these steps, you can use bridge table columns to create visual row and column fields, then use value columns from demand and supply tables as value field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @LanrexTee,

Column formula:

Unique Key =

Table formula:

Bridge Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CROSSJOIN (
        CROSSJOIN (
            DISTINCT (
            )
        ),
    ),
        & [City Code]
        & ","
        & [Product]
)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks @v-shex-msft for prompt help . Your approach should work as well when I checked. However the issue will  be if I make a slicer to filter by Area and I take the Field value from either of the Demand or Supply Table, some Areas will be missing because not all Areas in one table are in the other table and the bridging table doesn't contain all possible 'Areas'.

What I did, as a beginner. before I read your post is as follows:

- Rename all Columns of both tables to match (Since original data has different names for the columns) except the Demand and Supply columns

-Append both Tables as a new table 'AppendAB'

-Create a calculated column of Unique Key (by joining Week with City Code & Product )

- Remove all duplicates of the 'Unique Key'

- Hide the Plan & Supply columns in the 'AppendAB' Table (since I removed the duplicates, those two columns will have missing data)

-Connect the AppendAB Table to Demand & Supply Table using the Unique key.

In this case, I will have all possible 'Areas' in 'AppendAB' Table as well.

Many thanks

Hi @LanrexTee,

I attached the sample file below, you can try it if works for your requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @LanrexTee,

I attached the sample file below, you can try it if works for your requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks @v-shex-msft

Great! Just one thing missing as I said earlier, a slicer with "Area" will be different for each table as attached, Is it possible to include the 'Area' in the Bridge Table as well so that a Slicer to filter by Proucts per Area will have a merged values of all Areas. Pls see the attached below on how I want to have the Areas merged as well.

Powerbi1.PNG

Thanks and regards.

Lanre

Hi @LanrexTee,

In fact, I found area field seems based on city code.
Maybe you can add a calculated column on bridge table to lookup related area form these tables.

Update: Add sample formula.

Area =
VAR dict =
    DISTINCT (
        UNION (
            ALL ( Demand[City Code], Demand[AREA] ),
            ALL ( Supply[City Code], Supply[AREA] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    CONCATENATEX (
        FILTER ( dict, [City Code] = EARLIER ( 'Bridge Table'[City Code] ) ),
        [AREA],
        ","
    )

7.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors