Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Connecting to remote sql server

I am trying to get data from a remote server. Because the box I am connecting from is not a domain box Windows Authentication is not working. Hocan I switch to the server authentication?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Markzolotoy,

You can connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop using SQL authentication credentials. Choose Database option in the following screenshot, then enter your username and password to connect to SQL Server.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jr3151006
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi,

can anyone help me on how to stablish connection, from external side, when that server is behind a FW forwarding external port in different TCP number?

We have a customer who openned/redirect the TCP '63375' instead '1433'

i think you should add it with comma in your server name,

xx,xx,xx.xx,<port number>

sql server ip address, port number

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Markzolotoy,

You can connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop using SQL authentication credentials. Choose Database option in the following screenshot, then enter your username and password to connect to SQL Server.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI how do i get this screen in power bi desktop

rammy_0-1639450681531.png

please help me in this

Hi!

Im having the same issue, when i put the SA credentials on that section

LuchoTA_0-1603221647414.png

This message says that the server wasnt located.

when I try the same thing on the MySql conector, this message appear

LuchoTA_1-1603221775089.png

Saying it is unable to conect to any specified MySql Host

As far as I know there is credentials por the SQL DB ("sa" user) and also credentials for the server (to access the IP)

The server is in another location so im triying to acces there remotely...

what im I doing wrong?

I also installed some conectors for Mysql that other people recomenden in the forum.

Thank You!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

I belive you can use alternate credentials to connect

remotesqlserver.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

dosc
Frequent Visitor

Posting this here for people struggling with alternate credentials when connecting to remote SQL Server via VPN from a machine outside of the domain.

You can use the runas /netonly command (this does not work with the Power BI Desktop installation from Microsoft Store). Start Power BI Desktop via cmd with the following command:
runas /netonly /user:[domain]\[user] [path\to\PBIDesktop.exe]

Provide the password and then use current credentials in windows authentication when connecting Power BI Desktop to the SQL Server. You can find a step by step guide here

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.