Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting to multiple live datasets?

I understand you CANT connect to multiple live sources of data at once. However, you CAN connect to multiple data sources at once, such as Excel files. Isn't it possible then, to have those individual Excel files connect directly to the live datasources, then connect to those multiple sources through PowerBI?

While I don't think you can establish an automated refresh in Excel to get the data, I may need to go into each file to retreive it, but isn't this a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
darentengmfs
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @Anonymous 

You can have multiple excel files connected to those data sources, and connect your Power BI to those excel files.

You may use PowerShell to prompt refreshes on your Excel files for it to refresh, and use Task Scheduler to run the PowerShell script at any given schedule you want.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
darentengmfs
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @Anonymous 

You can have multiple excel files connected to those data sources, and connect your Power BI to those excel files.

You may use PowerShell to prompt refreshes on your Excel files for it to refresh, and use Task Scheduler to run the PowerShell script at any given schedule you want.

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous - you can deifnitely connect to multiple excel or source flat files and clean up and combine the data in Power BI. 

Please refer the video for reference. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmSdxt863s

or 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfCDCpWTfc

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.