cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danextian New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Connecting to a local folder via On-Premise Gateway

Hi @GilbertQ and @Ross73312,

It is now working. I had to add every data source to the gateway. By the way, just a side question, can we connect to a folder/file other than that is inside the On-premises data gateway folder?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
www.linkedin.com/in/danebelarminocpa
Ross73312 Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Anything that the computer/server as access too.  If you look at the Gateway screenshot i used, you'll notice i'm connecting it to a shared folder on my network (a dedicated server).

For my setup, i have a dedicated server thats hosting my on-premise data gateway.  We have a number of file share servers around the business, so i've got my gateway connecting into those where required.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User
Super User

Glad it is now working.

And as @Ross73312 indicated better to have a dedicated server and connect via a Shared Folder.

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
danextian New Contributor
New Contributor

The Gateway is working fine but alas, this error: There was an error with your dataset. Select the warning icon to view the details.

I selected the warning icon but nothing happened. 😞

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
www.linkedin.com/in/danebelarminocpa
Super User
Super User

Go into Settings and then Datasets, and find your dataset.

Then where it says Refresh History click on that and then you should be able to view your error.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

sherryliu Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. 

A. When I only connect to the folder data source, the refresh data detected the data gateway

B. When I connect multiple other resource from web such as google sheets, the refresh data was not able to detect the same data gateway. 

Please help. 

I publshed the report from the server where the data gateway installed. It refreshed locally on desktop without any issues. 

The folder path was the same for both A and B situation. 

Please help! Thanks

Super User
Super User

Hi @sherryliu

Currently the Power BI Enterprise Gateway cannot refresh data when the sources are from different area's. As in your case one source is from the cloud and another was from on-premise.

There is going to be an update to the Enterprise Gateway to enable this soon.

In the meantime the workaround is to use the Personal Gateway

Power BI Blog
sherryliu Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi guavaq,

I tried to use personal gateway istead. However, it will not show up under web - manage gateway after successfully installation and signing in. Gateway Version Number 14.16.6464.1 How can I solve this?

Super User
Super User

hi @sherryliu

So you can confirm that you downloaded, installed and ran through the setup for the Personal Gateway?

There is a new version for the Personal Gateway in which you can also test and ensure that it is connected and working.

Here are more details: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-personal-mode/

Power BI Blog
Highlighted
lemontree Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I am trying to do the same linking a report to a local folder (no sql, no sharepoint) and i get the same error for the past 2 days.

"Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Show details

any idea why this is happening?  initially i was trying to create a data source pointing to a local folder from a dropbox mapped drive and since i was getting the error i even moved the folder to c:\ but still i get the same. the steps i follow are:

1. create the report at power bi desktop

2. publish it

3. create the data source

when creating the data source I make sure to put the domain name before the username for the windows login ie domain\\username but still the error is there.

any ideas how to resolve this?

@danextian @Ross73312 @GilbertQ 

p.s. i am using the latest version of  the recommended on-premises gateway - not the personal 

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)